Please anser this.How long does it take COCHIN BANTAMS to get feathers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lcwilson2010, May 17, 2010.

1. lcwilson2010

lcwilson2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Woodsfield,Ohio
    i have some that are almost fully feathered.. i got them on april 19th from mcmurray.. and then i have some others that only have wing feathers and feet feathers. they look so different.. they are still cute but they arent as nice and feathery and fat as the others.
    how long does it take for a cochin bantam or standard(because i also have 1 of those)(rooster) to get fully feathered?
    thanks. cole.

2. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    The fully feathered ones are girls and the ones with only wing and feet feathers are boys. [​IMG] The boys will catch up in a couple of weeks.

Last edited: May 17, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  3. lcwilson2010

May 13, 2010
    Woodsfield,Ohio
    Quote:couple of weeks!!!!!!.thank ya.

4. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Quote:

5. InsaneBreeder

InsaneBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Kurtistown, Hawaii
    It takes a while. I have a few males that are just beginning to feather out at almost 2 months.

6. lcwilson2010

May 13, 2010
    Woodsfield,Ohio
    Quote:alright thank you.

but i have another question...

the ones that are barley feathered dont have very big combs at all but the ones that are fully feathered have big combs. why?

7. InsaneBreeder

InsaneBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Kurtistown, Hawaii

the ones that are barley feathered dont have very big combs at all but the ones that are fully feathered have big combs. why?

Just because some are slow-feathering doesn't necessarily mean that they are males. One of my blue cochin bantam females started to feather out after 1 month when all my other females were little fluffballs, and she had a small comb. Most of my nearly featherless males had large enough combs for me to identify their gender, so I'd say that although males do tend to feather out more slowly, it isn't a rule and it happens to females too.

1 person likes this.
  8. lcwilson2010

May 13, 2010
    Woodsfield,Ohio

Just because some are slow-feathering doesn't necessarily mean that they are males. One of my blue cochin bantam females started to feather out after 1 month when all my other females were little fluffballs, and she had a small comb. Most of my nearly featherless males had large enough combs for me to identify their gender, so I'd say that although males do tend to feather out more slowly, it isn't a rule and it happens to females too.

oh. thts good to know. thank ya.

9. alisan

alisan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2014
    I also have a 5 week old pullet with just wing and tail feathers she's a bantam Cochin? Also any ideas on provididing for a disabled chick?? I just CANT not have her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by