Please answer a dumb question....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by meriruka, Feb 28, 2008.

1. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    I've been reading everyone's incubator /hatching stories trying to learn everything I can before I try this myself. For the last two days of the hatch, everyone increases the humidity in their 'bators.
    So, if a hen is hatching her own chicks, how could she increase the humidity to help her chicks hatch or isn't it necessary?

2. mario2girls

mario2girls Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2007
    i dont , i think it isnt as complicated as some make it seem to be,,,i have good hatches and i dont change anything,,,sometimes i even forget to move the eggs from the turner before hatch,,,i have woken many mornings to find a chick sitting on the turner,,,,lol

3. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:I don't think I would encourage that, I've read to many stories of chicks getting smashed in the turners. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  4. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    I don't know. I could explain it for a duck, but not for a chicken.

5. mario2girls

mario2girls Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2007
    oh, i dont recommend that,,,by the way..
    i am just adding my name to the dumb incubator mistakes story list....

6. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Once I took care of some eggs in an incubator for a couple days while people were out of town. All I was instructed to do was turn the eggs once a day. They had x on one side and o on the other side so you knew which ones to turn. And when I went back, there were baby chicks hatching. I have no idea what the temp or humidity was.

7. meriruka

Oct 18, 2007
    Quote:How do ducks do it?

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    We raise the humidity on day 18 and stop turning.

If you have watched a hen when she is brooding she gets up and moves around and eats and drinks and rolls her eggs around. When she gets to the end of a hatch she doesn't. She sticks to those eggs. Often she has plucked chest feathers and the warm skin underneath her adds more humidty to the eggs the longer she sits. That is why broody hens loose weight. They aren't getting up to eat and drink in those last few days.

9. meriruka

Oct 18, 2007
    Quote:Would it be helpful to put food & water right next to her , or would she just ignore it?

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You can offer food and water right at her. You can't always make her eat it but I would keep it there beside her if she wants it. When the babies hatch make sure there is always chick starter there were they can eat and lots of clean water. She will teach them to eat and drink.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by