Please Answer My 2 important questions!!!

RedBreasted

Songster
8 Years
Sep 21, 2014
So back in June 2014, I bought 2 chickens, A RIR rooster and an Old English Red Phoenix Bantam hen, And now they are grown up and the rooster starting to crow. Well he start to crow in September. So my questions are...

1. Is Rooster Cowing Normal?

2. When will my Old English Red Phoenix Bantam Hen lay an egg?

Please answer it, Is getting cold and i'm worry if they get sick to die from coldness/frostbite.

I take it you mean 'crowing' normal. Yes a rooster will start to crow when they mature, to show dominance.

I would need to see a pic of you pullet to see if she is close to lay.

I am a bit concerned as to the size difference. Is your rooster full sized. My hatchery RIRs were big boys and I would be concerned that they could seriously damage a bantam (although I am not 100% on this as I do not raise bantams).
As far as the cold weather, if you are in an area with severe winters you might consider a supplemental heat source such as a heat lamp, or other (there are lots of heat choices to research). RIR's can be prone to frost bite especially in their combs. With only two they probably won't be able to keep as warm.

Have you considered adding a couple more hens for your roo? There is a chance of over-breeding (hens can lose feathers on their heads and back) if a roo does not have enough females to occupy him.

Here my chickens picture. I only have 1 rooster and 1 hen. The rooster is the one with the red crow. The hen is the small one. Just making sure. :D How many more months does she still need? I name my chicken, Rooster is Brownie and Hen is Cutey. They both are 4 months old from chick to adult.

Your hen's comb is still quite pink, I think you have a few more weeks at least. I don't think size will be a big issue, but you still might consider another couple of hens if you are going to keep the roo. They look happy and healthy, lovely birds!

You will get a hint that your hen is not far from laying her first egg when you see your rooster suddenly start showing interest in mating with her. She will give off subtle signals to him that you won't notice but he certainly will. He'll probably shock you one day, probably a month from now, by grabbing her by the back of her head and trying to climb onto her back. There will be a lot of screeching, and it won't all be coming from you. Even though she will be giving him signals she's going to be ready soon for mating, she won't necessarily be pleased with his sudden attentions.

When he does discover sex, he will quickly become obsessed with it, and with one hen, he will quickly exhaust her. That's why we are urging you to get a few more hens for him to share his "joy" with.

Back
Top Bottom