please answer this ! updated with pic please look !

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by jessaw1981, Aug 10, 2010.

1. jessaw1981

jessaw1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    ok Yall first I wanna thank Yall for all the good info that I have got posting questions on here. my question is I got a turkey at the feed store when I got my chicks and this turkey is about 4 mo. old and when we put the in the tractor together I put turkey first then all the hens well this turkey stuck its nose down to it chest and flitted all feathers fanned its tail out I mean beautiful strutting around and all and has a small group of hair coming out of chest that fills like brillo pad lol so we think its a tom my friend said girls.fan there tail to. ( I have never seen that ) I can't upload a pic cause I do all this from my phone and I don't see the option. the only other thing is I have never heard him/her gobble only a tweat and some other weird noise. he was from mcmurry hatchery and is a wild turkey ? please help. is it to young to gobble ?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  2. willjal

willjal Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2010
    Tuscaloosa
    Sounds like a tom by what you describe. There are cases where a hen turkey will grow a beard but its very very rare. Toms "poof" there feathers and strut around to try to impress the girls. If he is only 4 months he is way to young to gobble. Probably will take him another year to get a full blown gobble out, although he will start trying to gobble soon. Will just sound funny for a while.

3. simplycreative

simplycreative Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2010
    Waynesboro, GA
    sounds like a male

mine try to gobble...... doesnt come out right but sounds darn close and they are only 2.5 months old

try gobbling at him see what he does?

4. jessaw1981

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    thanks you guys. I did try to gobble but he just looked at me Luke what the he*l lol.

5. willjal

Jul 24, 2010
    Tuscaloosa
    This is what you should do. Go to walmart or some hunting store and buy a turkey mouthcall. Learn to use it and how to sound like a hen turkey. Your tom will go nuts. Especially early in the morning.

6. jessaw1981

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    I looked at Walmart the only place round here and ts and they don't have them yet. :'(

7. willjal

Jul 24, 2010
    Tuscaloosa
    Youll probably have to wait until spring. Thats when turkey season is. You could order one online though. www.bassproshops.com

8. ChurkLover

ChurkLover Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    St. Louis
    Sounds like a Tom to me. I have not seen my hens pull their heads in while fanning the feathers, but my Tom definitely does. He is about 6 months old and didn't start trying to gobble until about a month or so ago. He's actually fairly decent, just not a lot of power behind it yet. The other thing is, my Tom shakes his feathers and hisses while strutting, but the girls don't-at least I haven't seen them do it yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by