Please answer this: Why am I so chicken obsessed?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by winekntrychicks, Aug 26, 2010.

1. winekntrychicks

winekntrychicks Pooper Peeper

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    I am beginning to think I have OCD where chickens are concerned. Especially the roosters. I have too many and can't bear to part with them. I want a pair of every chicken. What is it about chickens that I love soooo much?

2. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

They're just so cute!! [​IMG]

3. Annabella

Annabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    Why wouldn't you want a pair of every one?? The logic is pretty sound I think!! [​IMG]

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    My 13 week old roo died on Monday and I can't stop thinking of roosters.Keep wondering if the 5 teens I have left will give me a rooster,or if I should get one from oneone else. If I had to get rid of all the animals I would probably hold on to the chickens the longest.Something so darn calming about them like people that are relaxed by watching their fish. I think the obsession is OK as long as you don't spend a whole lot of money,or get so many chickens you can not care for them well.Lol,it would be nice to pair them up husband and wife.To bad each roo needs a few hens.

5. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I don't know, but I think I've got it, too!

6. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Quote:Wait, wait wait!!! My only roo was killed by a 'coon. I couldn't wait, so found someone selling buff rock roosters and went to get one. They were so beautiful, I got two (don't ask me why). Then the single chick that my broody hatched turned out to be a roo, so now I've got three. My hens all have bare backs, and two of the roos started fighting, so I have to keep one isolated. Broody just hatched another 2 chicks, and one of them is obviously a roo. So freezer camp for all three adult roos is planned for this weekend, and the supply of chicken soup for the winter will be assured. Maybe Babyroo will take long enough to mature so that the hens can grow all their feathers back. Otherwise, instead of chicken saddles, I'll be making chicken overcoats this fall.

7. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    LOL, I was the same way when I first started with chickens. Afterwhile I finally lost the urge to buy every chicken I saw for sale! It definitely took a while, but now it's nice to be able to part with birds to make room in my coops. There are only a few I am really attached to.

8. TheChickenCameFirst

TheChickenCameFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Lol, I'm not sure you will find too much help here on this! (I think everyone is addicted to chickens...) [​IMG]

9. winekntrychicks

winekntrychicks Pooper Peeper

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    Quote:I have about 15 roosters at the moment. I know I can't keep them all. My sister is taking some of them to the local farm supply. Unless I was starving I could never put my babies in "freezer camp." The thought of taking the life from their eyes makes me ill. It's all Dh's fault. He is the one who wanted to get chicks that fateful spring morn. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by