PLEASE ASSIST Several folks with sick chickens!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OliviaDeHav, Aug 14, 2010.

1. OliviaDeHav

OliviaDeHav Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2010
    I changed the subject to this as several folks have written that their chickens are having watery diarrhea and are worried, Some are losing weight, and not eating. Can some of the old time, more experienced chicken people chime in and help out???
    Please read though and see what you think.... Thanks

My 8 week old started in today with water....not much solid in it and it is clear water... she was drinking a lot today, maybe she was too hot? Her sister was doing the same thing last week for a few days and now she is perfectly normal again. Both are/were acting normal, eating normal, drinking etc.... no changes at all...

At what point do you worry? How long is too long for this? As long as they are eating, drinking and acting normal...no worms, blood etc in the watery poo... how long before you intervene with something? And what? Yogurt? They actually ate some a few days ago..... stonyfield........

Thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  2. Jesseanne

Jesseanne Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2010
    Pensacola
    Bumping your post cause my RIR has watery diarrhea also and hope someone knows a cure. I read on the internet that epsom salt in with their food will stop it. Haven't tried it though. Got advice posted on another thread about trying the BRAT diet which is what humans do when they have diarrhea. (Bananas, rice, applesauce and toast) Gonna try that for a few days. My hen seems to be losing weight with everything going right through her.

3. OliviaDeHav

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:OH no....losing weight isn't good! Is she doing ok?? I've been out straight today and have been outside with them, but have not witnessed any poo from the one with watery diarrhea....I should go watch her....it's been nutty today [​IMG] Hope your RIR is ok!!

4. rhondaa

rhondaa Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2009
    North Tx
    I have a few doing this also, they seem fine. They are eating drinking and so on. I have some that have green poo and some that have yellow. Is that bad????
    hope someone know!!

Rhonda

5. OliviaDeHav

Jul 21, 2010
  6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    The diarrhea is most likely due to the heat. You can give them plain yogurt or buttermilk with boiled or scrambled egg mixed with their feed, plain white rice is good too. Epson salts is used as a laxative to clean them out for botulism or poisoning for example, applesauce is used as a mild flush to clear their flora. There is a controversial thread on here regarding bananas, whether to give it to chickens or not. It seems it's about too much potassium for the chickens system...no controversy here...they're your chickens,give them what you want. I dont recommend the flushes. Personally, I like to mix rice with buttermilk and give it to them, they love it!

7. OliviaDeHav

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:Hey Dawg....
    Thanks for the info.... I am assuing cooked rice [​IMG] White? Or Wheat? Long grain? Not Minute Rice I am assuming since Everything is taken out of it....... My girl seems ok today, but for the others having issues here...thought i'd ask [​IMG]
    I'd not think heat where i am. I don't let them out in the direct sun....and with the breeze, it has been a nice high 70s here and at night in the 60s even high 50s! Fall has arrived!

8. ladrholman

ladrholman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    I too am going to bump onto your post. I have a 6 month old hen who is under the weather. I have her separated. She has been sleepy and weak. for a couple days, just not herself though I thought it was because 4 roosters have come into their prime.... I would guess also some weight loss. Hard to tell when they fluff up so much. She is a silver laced whydnott. She is drinking lots but not eating as much today. I noted she has also been having watery poop with the white top. No blood. I have been giving her water treated with neomycin, vitamins and amprol. I have tried her with yogurt but she does not want to take it. I may try applesauce. She should be soon Laying and I am not sure if this is affecting her or not. Any help is greatly appreciated. I have only been raising chickens for 3 months and it is frustrating when you can't help them.

9. OliviaDeHav

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:I wish more there were more help with this thread.... maybe i can change the subject line and it might get more attention. Is it normal to have this many chickens having this issue at once? is there some chicken flu going around like we can have our human flus that go through the country from coast to coast???

I hope all our hens are doing better soon!

10. OliviaDeHav

Jul 21, 2010
    Maybe this might help to read through....

OLD TIME Remedies
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/1974-03-01/Old-Time-Remedies.aspx

Posts from other sites with similar problems:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7366 (READ this! LOTS of info)

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/1hi0l-my-pet-chicken-has-developed-diarrhea-she-goes-in-and-out (this is weird! Egg Bound, never would have thought of this!)

http://farmingfriends.com/hen-with-yellow-discharge-and-diarrhea/

Listing of serious Poultry Illnesses: https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by