Please be a pullet...

AngeJD

Chirping
Apr 3, 2021
I have this gorgeous Andalusian X Cochin hatched June 3, so it's almost 3 weeks old. I know it's early, but this sweet chick has started developing an orange comb. I know that Andalusians have red combs for both male and females, so I'm hoping my suspicions that this is a roo is wrong. We can't keep roos....

Roo or too early?

20210623_114711.jpg

I have this gorgeous Andalusian X Cochin hatched June 3, so it's almost 3 weeks old. I know it's early, but this sweet chick has started developing an orange comb. I know that Andalusians have red combs for both male and females, so I'm hoping my suspicions that this is a roo is wrong. We can't keep roos....

Roo or too early?

View attachment 2731601
It’s way to young, at this point there’s nothing that makes it a 100% cockerel

Ok, thanks. Check again in a few weeks, I guess?

Do all chicks, regardless of gender, do the chest bumping and strutting as well?

Ok, thanks. Check again in a few weeks, I guess?

Do all chicks, regardless of gender, do the chest bumping and strutting as well?
6 weeks is a good age for sexing.

Often chicks will chest bump and strut no matter of gender, especially when they are really young. All my chicks have held out their chests, chest bumped each other, and happily strut around the yard. The Alpha hen also struts and sometimes chest bumps when she feels she is being challenged (this is in my own experience anyways).

My Japanese bantam hatched the same time, but I've heard they can be sexed earlier. These two are from the same parents...don't read into the reddish comb growing out on one right?
20210624_125643.jpg

Back
Top Bottom