Please Be Careful What You Put on the Internet

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rodriguezpoultry, Sep 13, 2010.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    After looking at SEVERAL pages (not BYCers) I just want to remind EVERYONE:

1. Your employer can look at your page.
    2. Your prospective employer can see the history of your page (google is an amazing tool...)
    3. Your photos of you drunk? Not a good idea.
    4. Your photos of you being underage and DRINKING. Not smart either.

If you have children that use Facebook, PLEASE watch their pages...stalking and bullying are running rampant right now. PLEASE watch their photos and photos of their friends, especially if your children are minors. Some photos can show distinct areas where they are located in the U.S. and even in a given city.

This just came upon me as I was surfing...there are people out there watching everything that is put up, so please be cautious and mindful of what is seen, portrayed and is put out there. It may cost you your job or prospected job and even endanger yourself or those around you.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:[​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Excellent reminder, Mikaela.

4. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Boy oh boy is ropo right. The reminder is especially timely because it is becoming more and more clear that harrassing people on the internet is becoming a serious crime.

Many young people don't realize that anything that you put on the internet never dies, and can always be associated easily with you. People have indeed lost jobs from posting things about their employer. As well as failed to get jobs.

I just got a hair cut, and the owner of the salon says she checks people out to be sure they are neat and clean, and that includes looking at anything about them on the internet. Easily.

I don't think people realize that the internet is NOT an anonymous playground. At all.

5. colada584

colada584 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Gardiner, NY
    [​IMG]

6. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:I reminded a dude about this just the other day.. wonder how college is going for him?

7. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Always be careful ! [​IMG]

8. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    Good advice.
    On a different karma tract though, I found my now-ex on MySpace after he walked out on me leaving marital debt totaling a staggering sum. I found him in Louisianna and although he refused to answer the summons in NC the judge saw it fit to use his MySpace info to decide what he could pay in alimony and debt. He stupidly listed his occupation and income. Needless to say, the judge made an example out of him and not only awarded a large sum in alimony but declared him 80% responsible for all debts. My lawyer said that she never saw such a judgement.
    Yup, be careful what you post out there. [​IMG]

9. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    At the same time, I've also found a great deal of news does not 'register' on the internet. Criminal activities especially.

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:A thread in the Breeding and Genetics section about a show in Minnesota lists A minnesota finding of exotic newcastle disease. The 2002-3 END epidemic caused the depopulation of 3 million+ birds, mostly in California, but also in Nevada, Arizona and Texas. So I google this 2010 outbreak and find NOTHING on the internet. YES, I can go to the Minnesota Departmet of Natural Resources website and find the information, but google?--it is completely off the radar!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by