Please be nice to the workers !

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by unionwirewoman, Nov 27, 2007.

1. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    Sorry , but i need to let off a little steam . I am an apprentice inside wireman for the union (commercial electrician ) and we have been doing some retro fits in all of the county buildings in my area . We were subbed out through a big time company (johnstone controls ) to do all of the labor . On this job we were given a list of all the buildings and offices that were to be worked on . We have to go by this list right down to the T .

In the last two months that I have been doing these buildings , I couldn't believe how rude people can be . (i usually do new construction , so often times you don't have to deal with customers ) In one hand I can understand how people can be put off that they can't get their work done because we have to work above their desks for fifteen minutes , but they make it sound like we are the ones who wanted or authorized these changes . All we're trying to do is our job which was contracted to us . Yes sometimes we have to turn off the lights . You would to if you were working on a shared nuetral of 277v . we try to keep the lights on , wiring these switches at 277v , sometimes we can't . We're not even supposed to be working on live circuits .

One lady in the sheriffs office started cussing us out for not having badges ! I asked what she meant and she said everyone had to have one . Would have been nice if the other two ladies who buzzed us in would have told us !!!

My point being , those of you who work in an office , please try to give us working women/men a break . All we want to do is our job in a timely and workmanlike manner . We don't do it to annoy you , we do it because it's our job !!

[​IMG];)

2. paganfish

paganfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    Quote:Awww...sorry! [​IMG]

3. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Good point! Sometimes people loose patience with workers who are just doing their jobs that someone else sent them to do. Happened to DW the other day. she was installing new computers in surgery for anesthetist's drug cabinets, and several started chewing her out as to the use of them. She just works for the pharmacy dept. she did not make the decision for the change. Really wanted to go up there and put them outa their misery! [​IMG]
    Randy

4. Wattles

Wattles Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    I know I'm late to this thread but I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. I think that people are getting ruder, more irritable and less patient in general all across society. In my experience it's usually woman who are rude, who are quickest to snap, and think they have a right to publicly scold a stranger. I've worked in retail a long time, am working toward becoming a court reporter, and in everyday life, I find that a lot of people seem very close to the edge, emotionally. When a woman has an emotional breakdown in front of you because you have asked to see her drivers' license in order to write the number on her check, you start to wonder about the mental health of our society. I don't think people intend to lash out and be rude - I think they're terribly stressed and frustrated and they're taking it out on those unfortunates who cross their paths. I also think that it really bothers these people when they perceive that you are a happy person. I often get the question at work "Why are you smiling so much?" or "Why are you so happy?" They're assuming that I'm happier than they are and they resent it and they resent me for it. What they don't understand, perhaps don't have the capacity to understand, is that I'm being polite and I'm practicing courtesy toward my fellow human beings. They should give it a try some time.

Chicken people are the healthiest, happiest, most normal people there are! I'm glad to be here and interact with such great people! [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Tara

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  5. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Very well said.

6. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Wattles.by what you said and I quote
    (I often get the question at work "Why are you smiling so much?" or "Why are you so happy?" They're assuming that I'm happier than they are and they resent it and they resent me for it. What they don't understand, perhaps don't have the capacity to understand, is that I'm being polite and I'm practicing courtesy toward my fellow human beings. They should give it a try some time. )

You must do an awesome job [​IMG] I also am polite and practice courtesy,but never have I had someone ask me why I am so happy or smiling to much.......YOU go GIRL we all need nice, smiling people to touch our days......[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Thanks for the 2 cents, UWW!
    I know lots of folks who seem to think that things are just being done to P them off...
    I dropped a dime on some nitwit that was ranting at a detail cop because he was late to get to the convenience store...I was rather hoping he'd fall into the hole that was being dug.
    Being polite never killed anyone.[​IMG]

8. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I smile a lot ( and am teased for it). I hold doors open for people, even men, if I get to the door first. I try to make eye contact and smile at strangers, especially when I'm feeling grumpy. I say "Bless you" when ANYONE sneezes, even an animal (get teased for that, too). I make it a point to get to know every electrician, computer person, or janitor everywhere I've ever worked. NO ONE is invisible, and I think trying to be nice should be mandatory.

I try to find a reason to laugh, even when I want to scream and whine and complain.

You get what you give in this world. Karma is real.

Unionwirewomen, if you were coming to where I work I'd know your name and what was up, and you couldn't work for me chatting with you. Don't give up hope. There are people actively trying to be nice in the world! Even when it's NOT almost Christmas [​IMG]

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Great replies everyone. I too try to remember my manners at all times. It bothers me that sometimes you will hold the door open for someone at a store or such and they walk thru without even looking at you, like you were put there for their convenience! It's bothers me, but not enough to change me into "one of them".
    22 years ago I was the mother of an active 3 year old and was hugely...43 weeks (yes, I said 43) pregnant with my second child. I was struggling to lift my son up into the shopping cart at k-mart when a youngish-aged man walked up and said, here let me help you. He put my son in the cart, patted him on the head, and walked away. For some strange reason I've never forgotten that man's kindness.

10. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    You have a great attitude Wattles, and it tskes that to work with the public. I am always amazed at how ugly people can be to strangers they dont know, who are waiting on them, and dont need the stress.

Randy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by