PLEASE BREED and GENDER IDEAS OF MY 4 WEEK OLD CHICKS?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hamellott, Jun 15, 2009.

1. hamellott

hamellott In the Brooder

Jun 10, 2009
    I brought home 3 chicks from the local school which I were told could be any number of different breeds. Two I have appear to be the same with black with brown edged wings, combs are dark colored. They have white down the front of their chests and down their tummies. They are developing really pretty reddish brown stripey feathers here and there. They have nice tails sticking out that don't really show in the pics.

The white one has a comb developed that is a bit pink. He is larger than the dark ones and has a very short tail. I refer to him as HE but would love if he was a SHE so I could keep him.

Any ideas what I have? These are my first chickens, so I could REALLY use your help. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  2. Big dreams

Big dreams Songster

Mar 5, 2009
    I don't know enough to give you an answer, but they are cute! Maybe it will be easier in a couple more weeks. Anyone have any ideas?

3. Foxhound lady

Foxhound lady Songster

Jul 9, 2008
    TX baby!
    Black Sex Links on the darker ones and the last one I dont know

4. loverOFchickens

loverOFchickens Songster

Mar 30, 2009
    I am thinkin the first one is a roo and the last one a pullet.
    They really are pretty young yet though.

5. cybercat

cybercat Songster

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Those two have top hats maybe polish.

6. hamellott

hamellott In the Brooder

Jun 10, 2009
    Quote:REally? The black one a roo and the white one a pullet? I would have thought the opposite!

7. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Crowing

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Those baby crests or tophats mean they're out of my familiar breeds.

The black with red/brown will change color a LOT here shortly - those are juvenille feathers - no real reflection on adult feathering.

As to which crested or hatted breed they are - you've got me, I don't know them well enough.

Since they're not five toed, dark or black skinned, they're not silkie mixes.

More pics as they age is the only help for it.

8. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Songster

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    I would guess they are both polish. The black one may be a golden-laced. As stated earlier, their feathers will change as they age. Update the pics when you see a change in the black one.

9. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:Black sex links don't have crests, not all black chickens are sex links.

10. hamellott

hamellott In the Brooder

Jun 10, 2009
    I will have to post some current pictures. The white one continues to redden more on the comb and I heard a loud screechy sound twice this morning that I think may have been a crow from one of them?! I took them outside today one by one, as our coop and run are not built yet, and the white one scavenged around happily in the yard, while the black ones kept jumping up on my lap or shoulder to be near me. So sweet!

Also, one of the black ones has a more prominent comb, though not red or pink, really. I'm hoping for at least two girls out of the 3!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: