1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please can anyone help have a sick chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rach4, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Rach4

Rach4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2016
    Australia
    I have a 8week old chick who is not well, she is still moving about, but she is all puffed up and dosial if she doesn't have to move. The flock will move around the back yard but she gets left behind. She tries to keep up sort of does but just puffs back up and sits their chirpping. The flock hasn't rejected her yet, she has been like this since last nigh, but she was fine during the day. Mum and Dad still accepts her. I thought she may have improved over night as they all huddled in the coope, she hasn't worsen over night, but not getting better.

She was the runt of the litter, but in saying that she is not all that small now, she has held her own and kept up in size if not grown to be nearly the same as the others.

She is eating and drinking.
    I couldn't tell you what the poop is cause I never really see it.
    Their bedding is just straw.
    I don't feed them anything but grit, chook food and the occasional oats for a treat.
    Mum from day one has been great at guiding what they can and can't eat, so I'm not to sure if it's something she has eaten.

Do I intervene? I wouldn't forgive myself if I didn't try something! Please can anyone give advice.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  2. Rach4

Aug 31, 2016
    Australia
    Is there anyone who would be willing to at least give some advice, becoming concerned. Thanks in advance

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Pending the experts giving advice, I'd put some vitamin supplements / electrolytes in their drinking water - it helps give their immune system a boost and can help to fight off whatever issue is going on. Either way, it will most certainly do no harm. If you do not have either to hand, you can make your own electrolytes - just search "making your own electrolytes" in the search box. Even gatorade will do the trick.

Here we go - Electrolyte formula:7g sodium chloride (NaCl, common salt)5g sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)3g potassium chloride (commonly called "Muriate of Potash". Salt substitutes contain mostly potassium chloride)40g glucose (a common source is corn syrup)2 liters water.
    Source: http://tinyurl.com/lnary3

Taken from a post by @threehorses

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. Rach4

Aug 31, 2016
    Australia
    Thanks for help chick died last night, extremely frustrating as I looked and asked every where for help (not just on here other places to) and no one could/ would help. But hey **** happens

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Sorry to hear about that. It seems that Sundays are terrible days for posting ER stuff and getting swift replies. If she died so soon, its likely that she was beyond help and any advice given would have been fruitless. It doesn't make things any easier, I know [​IMG]

6. Rach4

Aug 31, 2016
    Australia
    Yeah I agree for sure. My frustration is definately not towards this forum, although I had a lot of people look at the post, I don't expect everyone to know what to do or how to go about it. So that is totally understandable. My frustration is towards our very pathetic vet out here who does live stock, I was turned away because I didn't have an appointment and was told pretty much it's just a chicken, breaks my heart to think that someone who is suppose to care about animals especially when you go into a certain area of that profession and not care about whats going on. But thems the breaks she now rests in our "pet cemetery" along with all our other beloveds. Thanks again for the help, always good to know for the next time

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

That is too bad....If she succumbed that quickly, she was not going to make it long anyways...Lots of possible causes...Impacted crop?

Hope the rest remain healthy...

Cheers!

8. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    This would be a good medication for you to keep on hand in your chicken first-aid kit:

http://www.planetpoultry.com.au/medications/61-amprolium-200-100g.html

At 8 weeks old and with the symptoms you described, I would suspect coccidiosis. Keep a close eye on the other chicks. You may want to treat everyone just as a precaution.

It could also have been a case of failure to thrive.

So sorry for your loss.

1 person likes this.
  9. Rach4

Aug 31, 2016
    Australia
    For sure, in a way I am so thankful that the little one went quick and didn't suffer to much. I would rather that then tying to battle to keep her going if she was only going to suffer. A bit torn with that, but I think the best result for the poor little critter was the outcome we have. Thanks for that

10. Rach4

Aug 31, 2016
    Australia
    Thanks so much for that we will defiantly be doing that. Treatment for all. I know just a chicken as some would say, but not to me, they all my little critters and love them all to death, They all have great personalities and you can tell which one is which just by looking at them. I balled my eyes out when I found her and sat with her for a good 30mins, whilst my partner dug the hole. I had even convinced myself she wasn't dead, I could still help her NUTS I tell ya lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by