please can someone help me with my chickens leg

pudding11

Hatching
Jun 18, 2016
I let my chickens out this morning and my light sussex came out limping on one leg and also dragging it behind her ive had a look and nothing seems to be wrong with her apart from that leg she has been drinking and eating all day but she is finding it hard to get around first I looked on line to see if she had a stroke but didn't think that she has I have looked abit more on line and I thought she mite have broken her leg we have had her for 5 years and I don't no how to help her can anyone tell me what to do and how I can help her

Welcome to BYC.
Can you post a photo?
Can you take her to a vet?

Separate her with her own food and water. A wire kennel or dog crate in the run works well, that way she is still near the flock and not completely by herself. This also helps to limit her activity level so she can rest and hopefully start to heal. Hopefully it is a strain, but since she is dragging the leg behind her it may be dislocated.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/leg-foot-and-toe-issues-in-poultry-of-all-ages
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/659231/how-to-treat-a-broken-leg

thank you for the reply i have brought her inside away from the others so she can have alone time so she is in our front room in a inside cage I have looked at her legs and the one that is fine she will hold ur finger if u put it under her foot but the other one there is no movement on her feet at all its like her full leg and thigh isn't working but she is still eating and drinking fine non of our vets no anything about chickens only dog and cats and so on I really don't want her to suffer but its hard to watch she seams fine apart from the leg and shes not been fighting with any others as she is tot chicken and there in a large run so i wouldnt of thought she would of hurt it on the logs we have her comb is still bright red if anyone can offer any thing i can do it would be grate thanks

Back
Top Bottom