Please can't anyone help me?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rancher hicks, Aug 4, 2010.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Can you help?

Right now I have Delawares as many of you know. 5 roos to process but they don't seem to be up to any significant weight at 12 weeks. If you have "dual" purpose birds,
    1. What kind do you have?
    2. At what age do you process them?
    3. What is the lowest weight you've ever had?
    I'm basing my assessment on what meat I can feel with my hands.

Another question I have is why, in at least two chicken books, one in the book store and one from the library, they have pictures of Aruacanas with tails? I thought Aruacanas had no tails.

And another question is I have two EE's that are the same age as a Del pullet yet it would appear that the EE's combs are not as red as the Del. I'm not even sure the Del isn't laying. Her comb certainly looks as though she should be. They are all 16 weeks. Do EE's take longer to mature than other breeds?

And another question I have is, I have a red/blk/bl bantam friz hen. She was supposed to be red but I'm not sure what the other color is bl or blk. When she gets bred to a Del roo her chicks come out Del patterned. Frizzed or not. When she got bred to a CM roo her chick came out barred and frizzed. I only have one.
    If I breed her to an lavender amer. will her chicks come out lavender?

Thanks folks

Rancher

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Where was the books published/ written at?
    If in the U.K. there standard is quite different than ours on the Araucana.
    The U.K. has 4 "class" of Araucana Large fowl tailed, Bantam tailed, Large fowl Rumpless and Bantam Rumpless..
    http://www.araucana.org.uk/

If the books were published in the U.S. then they just didn't know the American Standard for Araucana..

Chris

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    And another question is I have two EE's that are the same age as a Del pullet yet it would appear that the EE's combs are not as red as the Del. I'm not even sure the Del isn't laying. Her comb certainly looks as though she should be. They are all 16 weeks. Do EE's take longer to mature than other breeds?

My EEs develop faster than my orps & ameraucanas. I think it's that "hybrid vigor". I've been making them with really heavy breeds though- so I guess it could depend on thier background.​

4. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    had to redo the title in hopes I can get some answers.

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

My Easter Eggers were slow to develop, and the last ones to lay when I bought my first flock of chickens.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by