PLEASE check out my chick feed concoction!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kmdsparrow, Sep 20, 2010.

1. kmdsparrow

kmdsparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Couldn't find anything local that wasn't a 50lb bag for my 1 1/2 week old chicks so I gave them scrambled eggs last night and today made up a concoction made of oats, whole wheat flour, lentils, wheat germ, ground flaxseed, sunflower seeds and I mixed it with some of my layer feed. Do you think that this is good enough to tide them over until I can get upstate this weekend and get chick food? I just can't find good chick food locally. I do live in the city though and guess that is the reason.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  2. Jx2inNC

Jx2inNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Caraway, NC
    Sounds like they should be just fine until you can get that chick starter.
    Just make sure that the items are portioned small enough, if they aren't as is.

3. gt4889

gt4889 New Egg

Sep 11, 2010
    Doesn't layer feed have extra calcium in it? I don't think extra calcium is good for chicks. Their kidneys may not be able to handle it?

In any event, your homemade mix sounds pretty good to me as a temporary fix. I wouldn't keep them on it for any longer than necessary though without knowing exactly the percentages of fat and protein.

4. Jx2inNC

Jx2inNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Caraway, NC
    Quote:A very high calcium diet may not be ideal for them, but if it is not exclusively all they eat, there probably isn't too much of an issue.
    You figure between 3.5% and 4.5% calcium in high calcium feed...then divide that by the amount of feed mixed with the other supplements and you aren't looking at a huge amount.
    By 10 weeks or so though, after the point medicated feed is really beneficial, a breeder feed shouldn't hurt the chickens whatsoever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by