1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

PLEASE!!! Chick in distress! Breathing complications!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cochinfan05, Oct 3, 2015.

1. cochinfan05

cochinfan05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    LaFargeville NY
    Was just out in the coop and was hearing a gasping noise. Looked to find one of my 5 week old bantam cochin in a somewhat hunched position taking deep wheezing breaths. I was just out this morning feeding them scrambled eggs and did not notice this. There are 12 that have been raised by my broody and all the others look healthy otherwise. Is she choking on a piece of scrambled egg? Or perhaps aspirated on it? Please tell me what I can do to help this poor baby. Thank you.

2. cochinfan05

Jun 14, 2013
    LaFargeville NY
    I've moved the chick inside and syringe fed it about 1 cc of water with save a chick in it. It makes a gasping noise, stretches it neck then opens it mouth with every breath. I'm trying to look around the forums but finding nothing.......

3. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

I hops someone posts soon! I wish I had the experience to help! Try massaging the crop area? I read another post on here about choking and someone suggested that.

4. cochinfan05

Jun 14, 2013
    LaFargeville NY
    Poor little fella passed away. I really believe it either aspirated on food or was maybe stepped on by a larger bird (although no visible wounds)

5. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry! [​IMG]

6. ana2707

ana2707 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2015
    Sorry for your loss[​IMG]

7. cochinfan05

Jun 14, 2013
    LaFargeville NY
    Thank you both for your condolences. One of the hardest things about raising animals is loosing one, especially as they're raised as pets, but I guess I'll take the good with the bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by