Please clarify some info from the assisted hatch guide! Possibly urgent!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sbusey, Mar 26, 2015.

1. sbusey

sbusey Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2015
    I have 4 duck eggs that pipped yesterday through the morning and afternoon. 3 have had 2 pips side by side with no progress for over 12 hours. Is this considered just a pip or unzipping? Humidity is good (70's RH) but membrane is browning (shell is cracked but membrane is not pierced as far as I can tell without messing with them. The guide says to watch for browning but I didn't get a clear sense of what was supposed to happen after. All are still quacking here and there at least. The one with browning also has the shell turning grey in a big patch down the side.

The fourth egg has two fairly spaced and very tiny pips. Not the volcano look like in all the pictures and the others, just teeny chips up. Barely noticeable. Is this what was meant by erratic pips without progress? This one also has not made any change in over 12 hours.

Please help! Thanks!

2. DemonicFowl

DemonicFowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2014
    South Eastern Mass
    How are the eggs? Any progress...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    @learycow @Lacrystol ??

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  4. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Ok Let me explain external peeping and internal pipping. Theres two membranes that each shell has, the first one is close to the shell and the second one is close to the embroys or baby.

When a baby internally pipps they break threw the membrane that is wrapped around them, when they Externally peep they break the membrane that is close to the shell and usually you will see the shell cracked. sort of like what you have described you'll see a pointed hill...

5. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    so with that in mind tell me where they are?

6. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    can you tell me what day your on, What kind of ducks?

7. sbusey

Mar 23, 2015
    Two did fine solo, two I followed the assisted hatch guide. We had only found the info of 45% humidity for the incubation and that was too high for us. By the time I found the suggestion to use weight or air cell size they were already a bit off and one was a bit too large to turn it seemed and was shrink wrapped, the other had the dreaded brown goo and shrink wrap. The fantastic instructions though led to a perfect, complication free assist and all four are doing great. :)

8. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    That's great, congrats! ^-^ Any pics to share?

9. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Alright

10. sbusey

Mar 23, 2015
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by