Please comment on this coop design - I may order it

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by N. Virginia, Nov 4, 2010.

1. N. Virginia

N. Virginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Hi All:
    What do you think of this design for around 10 chickens? I plan to enclose the whole think in a larger pen.

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    N. Virginia

2. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Looks waaay too small for 10 chickens. What are the dimensions? And you are in VA, correct?

3. Sootsie

Sootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    look nice but need the dimensions to determine if its big enough for 10

4. N. Virginia

Oct 15, 2010
    Yes, I'm in Virginia.

This model is 4' x 6' with 2' sides, so the bottom would be 6' X 8' and the top 4' x 6'. There are two perches inside for a total of 12' of perch space, and 4 nest boxes (on the ends).

The idea for winter is to close in the bottom part with plastic so it's a double decker - top part with perches and nests and bottom part on the ground. I would bed both top and bottom, and enclose the whole thing in a 20' x 30' run.

Cheers,
    N. Virginia

5. N. Virginia

Oct 15, 2010
    Right now my chickens are perching on top of eachother on around 2' of perch space...gave them a ladder and they all want to be on the top rung. So 12' of level perching space to me seems more than enough! But then they are 10 weeks old, and grew up in a small space, and haven't quite gotten used to spreading out...they are always within a 5' circle, even in their big (20' x 30') yard.

6. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    there are some people in south ga that sells them... idk looks great but i think you could build it and get everything like YOU want it

7. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I'll go ahead and be unpopular... usually it's at least 4 square feet indoors per standard size bird. That would give you room for 6 chickens in this coop. Now, if they are rarely in their coop (like only to sleep) you can get away with less. Virginia winters aren't usually bad (last year being an exception) so you might get away with 10 in this coop. However, if you get another winter like last year and your birds are indoors for some time you may find you have picking or squabbling problems.

I do agree it's a gorgeous coop but really better suited to 6 or less adult chickens, unless they're bantams then 10 would fit!

8. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    one person on here bought that coop and is having trouble keeping the rain and snow out of the coop.. it comes in through the upper windows.. just a thought

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I would not get it.....I'd rather have ALOT of room than too little. Also no protection wise from elements.

10. N. Virginia

Oct 15, 2010
    Thank you very much for your comments. Should have asked about this size before I got set on having it! Right now I'm in a hurry to get the chickens settled, and I think this will keep them until spring, or until they fight.

If they fight I'll either build onto this coop or get rid of some of the chickens... I don't need all the chickens I now have...several of them are downright nasty and show no sign of coming around...so if they give me any trouble, they can go back to my neighbor's, who have lots of room.

And yes, I could build the right size myself, but right now don't have time or energy. Actually, I started buiding a proper 8' x 12' house and it turned out so well that I told the chickens I am taking it for my office! So my guy is working on the office now instead of a new chicken house.

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    N. VA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by