Please confirm sex on 16 1/2 week olds. And help with breed as well.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kuntrychick, Oct 12, 2011.

1. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Please say these are girls! I've been referring to them as "she".

1. At first I thought this one was for sure a roo. It hatched out with a little gray comb & a bit of an attitude (was first one hatched & early). Then, it started feathering out really quickly...the little tail feathers & such, so I started thinking girl. Then, it's comb started getting really red & started getting wattles, so I started thinking boy again. But, now I'm pretty sure girl. Oh, & what kind is she? Black jersey giant? It is black with the shiny greenish looking feathers (the color of rooster tail feathers). When it hatched, it was black with light buff color bottom.

[​IMG]

2. This one hatched out of a green egg. I think the dad is my RIR roo based on this ones coloring. Even though it doesn't have the dark feet & legs, would it still be considered an EE? Wonder what color eggs she will lay?

[​IMG]

3. This one hatched out of a green egg. She does have the dark legs & feet but didn't when she was a baby chick. Would this still be an EE? Wonder what color eggs she'll lay?

[​IMG]

2. Love2Homeschool

Love2Homeschool Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    Texas
    I think they are all female and the last two are EEs, but I'm kinda new to this.

3. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    HOw old are they? The 2nd & 3rd ones do look like pullets to me. I do not know enough about the first one to guess. (But if I did I'd say it was a she as well.) [​IMG]

eta: Yes, the 2nd two are EEs.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  4. kuntrychick

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Quote:They are 16 1/2 weeks old.

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    At 16 1/2 weeks, it would not be out of realm of possibility that you have hens gearing up for egglaying within a month. My hens grew red combs almost overnight once they hit the 17 week mark. It's a sign of good health and egg-laying in hens.

I do not see anything particularily manly about any of those three, and would put money on them all being pullets. The first girl is most likely an Australorp considering she's nearing laying condition so soon (Jersey Giants take a bit longer usually).

The second and third birds are Easter Egger mixes. EEs are not a monitored breed, but should have at least one or two following features: Pea comb, muffs, willow-colored legs, lays green/blue eggs.

Since your last two birds have at least some of the above features, yes they are called EEs. Unfortunately there is no way to tell what eggs they will lay, though I suspect they both will give you green eggs since they both have pea combs (the pea comb gene is very commonly linked to green eggs).

Hope that helps!

6. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    At 16 weeks old, all three of those are 100% girls! [​IMG]

#1 looks like either a Black Jersey Giant or a Black Australorp (check the bottoms of the feet, yellow=BJG, pink=BA).

#2 and #3 would both be considered Easter Eggers. They will probably both lay green eggs since they both have pea combs (which is closely linked to the green egg gene). [​IMG]

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I think 1 is a JG. One of my first JGs I swore was a boy till she started laying.
    3 is EE with probably Delaware mixed in.

8. kuntrychick

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Thanks everyone! Yay!

Can anyone point me in the direction of the link telling about EEs combs & what relation to it being a green egg gene?

9. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I agree you have 3 girls there. I adore those green legs! Also, that looks like a super sexy roo in the background behind the second EE![​IMG]
    Your black girl could be black sex link. I have one that looks so similar and she hatched from a pen that included Barred rocks and RIRs.

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Yuppers..all girls!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by