Please counsel me...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Lucysmom002, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    This has been bothering me for awhile and it's starting to really upset me. I don't know if I'm over reacting or what? I'm new to chickens since last year. This year I bought 25 pullets from Murray McMurray. I sold 13 of them to a farmer across the road. He set them up a nice fenced coop in the milk house of his barn. Nice nest boxes, deep shavings, lots of food, water etc.. I was happy about that.
    What I'm not happy about is they are still in there and haven't seen outside yet. I just feel bad because mine are out in the sun, in the shade, dusting in dirt, eating grass etc. on this big yard and his are still in the little coop. They were hatched May 13 so they are getting pretty big.
    He said he's going to build a coop and outdoor fenced run for them but everything takes him forever and I know it won't happen til late fall or winter.
    I know it's none of my business but I just feel bad. My babies are spoiled rotten.
    Is it horrible that they are in there or not? Some please reassure me or something?? My husband was going to offer a 10 x 20 dog kennel temporarily so they can at least SEE outside.

2. Hippie Chicks Mom

Hippie Chicks Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Near Old Forge NY
    I know it's hard to watch, but as long as he is feeding them properly and giving them fresh bedding, I'm sure they are fine. Of course they (and you) would prefer they be outside. I hope he gets it built soon. They don't know any different at this point.

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    If they have enough room they are not living under bad conditions.

You could casually mention that you read that chickens with access to grass have nice yellow egg yolks, which is one of the biggest differences in comparison to store bought eggs. It is one way to motivate him to get them in a run, without implying that he is mistreating the chickens. Then you can tell him about all the great simple plans that BYC web site has for building coops and even portable chicken runs.

4. Lucysmom002

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Thanks guys.
    I went over there and asked him how they are doing, he said fine. I asked him if they've been outside yet and I offered to bring the dog kennel over and pop it up under his HUGE shade tree. He kind of entertained the idea then he said "I have to get that fence going" He said he'll do it in the next few day. I offered our help with setting it up. I also offered the kennel and said me and my daughter would come over and get them out and put them back in a couple hours.
    I want my husband to go over and offer his help too and get him going on it. He wants to go do it too.
    I know they aren't mis treated, I just wish they could get outside and enjoy the weather. I guess they don't know better.

The 6 I just bought from the 4H kids Sunday have never been out of a cage, I can tell. They are loosening up and eating some grass that I give them but they get a little nervous outside.

I'm babbling.. thanks for listening..

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I understand your concern and think you are sweet to care. But once you sold them, they became his chickens. So keep offering as you can, but without putting any pressure on him. Sometimes that makes us old folks stubborn! [​IMG]

Good luck, he's lucky to have nice neighbors like you!

6. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:X-2

7. Nervouschicken

Nervouschicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    Quote:X-2

I think so also. They are his chicks. Keep trying to persuade him, albeit tactfully.(if he hasnt done what he said he would do.)[​IMG]

8. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    I think it was great to offer your help. Your what neighbors should be. If you see him start to get things together, go over w/ lemonade or something to encourage... of course bring your work gloves!

9. Lucysmom002

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    We loaded the dog kennel panels on the ATV and took them over there and set it up under a nice shade tree. He came out eager to help and smiling ear to ear. He has a bad hand but tried to help. It was nothing to pop it up. He was very thankful and offered a beer or soda. He seems excited to put them out tomorrow. I'm excited too! I went to see the chickens, they look good. They will be happier tomorrow. I can't wait to see them out on grass. I feel so much better now. I told him we will help catch them if he needs us, he thinks he'll do fine.

He had a stroke a few years ago so he doesn't speak well, very nice guy. He farms our land and is very helpful to us also. I'm grateful to have such nice neighbors.

Thank you all for your kind comments.

[​IMG]

10. Lucysmom002

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Also, he told my husband his plan for fencing and we certainly will go help if we see him starting! This might get him going

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by