Please critique my coop sketch!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bantimna, May 8, 2011.

1. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Over the week I have been busy with coop sketches. Taking in consideration the Ol' Ventilation page and some inspiration from other coop designs, I have come up with something. Please Note: I am not a construction expert here, nor do I have specific experience with drawings of coops I depend on pictures of what I'm trying to achieve. [​IMG]

The coop has already received a name, Giant Cluckprints. Mainly because we are hoping to raise Partridge Brahmas. The coop in total should be a 4x8, a good size for a trio of Brahmas, and or if chicken math takes hold. The roof will be made of translucent green plates equaling more daylight within the coop for the Giants. On every side otherwise the South Side are ventilation openings, guarded by hardware cloth. The East Side [where the sun rises] is equipped with nestboxes made from recycled buckets, the entry door is also of the East Side. Above the nestboxes is a sliding-window, also guarded by hardware cloth. On the West Side are two large sliding windows guarded by hardware cloth, The windows should be open from sunrise till sunset, un-less any rain arrives. The roof will be primarily flat, we are moving to a area where rain happens to be very little per year. Though a over hang of 1ft [30cm] on the East Side [the east side is the entry port].

I apologize for not suppling the North and South side sketches, I'll try get them up quickly! [​IMG]

Sketches:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks pretty good to me. [​IMG]

3. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Quote:Thanks!

4. KlaHaYa Gardens

KlaHaYa Gardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Mentally walk yourself through cleaning the coop. Nesting boxes, floor, windows, door, roof, everything. If you run into problems, you may want to re-think. This is one thing I see that people overlook frequently: how to clean, maintain, and repair the coop.

Good luck.

5. BuffaloWings

BuffaloWings Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I think it looks pretty good, but I am not a fan of the green translucent panels. They degrade and breakdown too easy in the sun.

6. VelvettFog

VelvettFog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    I'd do my roof without a ridge. It's way easier to shingle [​IMG]

Flat roof, good slope, easy peasy [​IMG]

Dave

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by