Please critique my Dominique.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Gallusfarm, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  2. Gallusfarm

Jul 14, 2009

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  3. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    I don't know much about Dominiques, but I looked in my SOP, and she seems to have a lot going for her. Body shape looks pretty correct, maybe her tail black needs to be darker??? This is a heritage breed, so why don't you post a link to this on the Heritage thread and see if you can get one of those experts to come over and look. Hopefully that won't be cross posting-
    There are APA judges on there, and the man that started it seems to know what he is talking about.

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I think she is very pretty but as far as standards I dont know. I dont have any. She looks like my barred rock with a different comb. Im partial to Barred Rocks love them.

5. Gallusfarm

Jul 14, 2009
    Thanks guys!

6. roosters4sale

roosters4sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    missouri
    Shes a winner.

7. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Are you sure it's a she? Doesn't look anything like my dominique. That comb is huge compared to Dorothy's. Also, her wattles are not near that big, either.

JMHO,
    Jen

8. Gallusfarm

Jul 14, 2009
    Quote:That's funny that you mention that. It's def a girl... She lays eggs... But the funny thing is after I separated her from the other pullets (a couple of weeks), I started giving her a vitamin mix, and her comb and wattles got bigger and redder than the other girls. I hope she's not too big.

I left her at the state fair last night. We'll see.

Thanks for the replies!

9. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    Looks very nice. The comb is a bit rough, the standard birds generally have a smoother comb, but many breeders breed for the rougher comb and so it kind of just depends on the judge. Looks good though, I like that she's not as dark as so many hens - a lot of the pullets we have seen are very dark and one of the pullets we purchased as a day old chick has almost totally black legs and even an almost all black comb!! Ah! She'll be a pet for someone for sure [​IMG]

10. petesgirl

petesgirl Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    Seattle
    I have a dominique question. I will post pictures when I get a chance. I have 2 that are about 5 months old. They looked exactly the same until a couple weeks ago. One of them grew a bright red comb and waddles, seemed like it happened overnight! The other one still does not have a red comb or waddles. They are the exact same age. Is the one most likely a roo? The tail feathers seem a little fancier then the others also. They are both very sweet and are near the bottom of the pecking order (they are the youngest).
    Although the picture just previously posted has even bigger combs and waddle than mine-would it be possible they are both girls and one is just developing slower?

Sorry I have no pictures yet, I will try to post later today!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by