please critique my phoenix

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by roocrazy, Jan 20, 2011.

1. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    i know they are not show quality and they are not the best pictures but please do your best... this is the foundation of my breeding stock so what do i need to add or breed out:
    cockeral:
    [​IMG]
    pullet:
    [​IMG]

2. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    bump

3. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    Want!!!!!!!!!!...

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    They're young, in poor condition & not posed well. It's hard to evaluate them. One of the females appears to have green legs, does she?

5. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:Gotta love the diplomacy there. And gotta put in some work on that posing, eh? I can't critique your birds as I know nothing at all about the breed. Just interested as your hens look very similar to Brown Marsh Daisy hens. Especially the one with the greenish legs. They've got lovely colouring. I really like your male's golden cape. Very elegant. They might not be show quality, but not all of us want to show our birds, right! Wishing you luck with your breeding efforts!

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Gotta love the diplomacy there. And gotta put in some work on that posing, eh? I can't critique your birds as I know nothing at all about the breed. Just interested as your hens look very similar to Brown Marsh Daisy hens. Especially the one with the greenish legs. They've got lovely colouring. I really like your male's golden cape. Very elegant. They might not be show quality, but not all of us want to show our birds, right! Wishing you luck with your breeding efforts!

If a bird isn't posed well it's impossible to see their type. That's the case with these pictures. Their condition also makes it impossible to really evaluate their colour. Diplomatic or not it's difficult to evaluate birds whose general appearence is poor. They're also quite young which again makes it hard to evaluate them. When they mature & feather out they may have some desireable qualities but right now, in their condition I really can't say & I do know about the breed. BTW-green legs would be a disqualification & even if one didn't plan to show I assume one wouldn't want to reproduce birds with a disqualification. If the OP didn't care about such things I don't know why s/he would have asked for a critique.

7. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Now I don't often agree with negative things but when you ask such questions you should be ready to hear every kind of comment there is. What's more you shouldn't ask if your not wanting the truth. Especially if you've got a judge on the forum. If you intend to show these birds then you need to know what's what.

So as much as I may not like it I agree with NYReds. I don't own Phoenix cuz , they don't lay well and they are a fancy bird that requires alot of maintenance.

roocrazy take what you've got and work with that. If you really want to improve them you can do it I'm sure. Make sure you stick around cuz I would like to see how you progress with this breed.

gypsy- what are brown marsh daisy 's . Have you got any pics?

Wish you the best everyone.

Rancher

8. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ahem. Perhaps I should apologise. I didn't mean to, well, ruffle any feathers there. I probably agree with NYREDS too, I was just reacting to the rather brusque nature of his/her first comment. The second one which really explained what he/she meant in more detail was IMO much more helpful and also encouraging. Same info, just presented in a more positive manner.

Rancher: Marsh Daisies are a rare British breed created around 1880. Original mix was Hamburghs, Leghorns, Malay & OEG. 30 or so years later Pit Game and Sicilian Buttercup was added. They're quite small with rose combs, green legs and white earlobes. They're very hard to find, and even harder to find good ones. I have four fairly acceptable ones that took me over a year to track down. I was just intrigued here by how similar my hens' colouring is to these Phoenix hens. Here's the best pic I could find - mine aren't too good at posing either. LOL!

[​IMG]

9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:I'm a big fan of Practical Poultry and some of the British breeds. It's to bad we can't get them here or they are out of our price ranged to import.

Thanks for answering my question.

Rancher

10. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    i know nothing about the breed, but they're very pretty and i think that your rooster should have more/longer sickles. also, the hens should match more perfectly if it's a breeding trio.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by