Please cross fingers with me Set Eggs Sept 6th

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by StormyMoon, Sep 12, 2010.

1. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Today is day 7 I candled every single one 28 eggs are moving this will be my last time to candle because the heat and humidity flux so much when I open the incubator. I had horrible hatches in july of course we had heat problems in texas but out of 24 eggs only 6 hatched under a broody hen.

I am using a home made incubator given to me by a lovely lady here on BYC I thank her so very much!!!!
    Its a cooler converted into an incubator it took me about 3 days to figure out how to manage the humidity and heat by dimming the light.
    This sure has been a great adventure for me and my children trying different levels of water and we finally went with the 2 jars of water in the incubator. Although this will be slightly tricky we have to turn the eggs carefully at the same be quick to get the lid closed before any changes are made in temp and humidity. I have been able to keep it between 99.6 - 100.2 with humidity between 45 % - 50 %.

Should I leave it there or try to keep the humidity lower?

Please keep your fingers crossed for this hatch [​IMG]

2. StormyMoon

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    anyone?

3. Surehatch

Surehatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgia
    Keep the humidity where it is and see how the hatch goes

4. JustMandy

JustMandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2010
    I set mine in a home made coller incubator on the 7th, we'll be close!

My humidity is running a bit higher then yours but 4 of my 6 are developing.

ETS: this is my first hatch as well

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  5. StormyMoon

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Thanks I am still trying to keep temps and humidity stable, tomorrow is lock down for a few I had to take from hen she was cracking the so as soon as those 5 are out I will finish with the original hatch which isnt due until the 26th. Hopefully this will work out Crossing fingers....

6. Biddylover

Biddylover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Tennessee
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I too set mine on the 7th, started with 24 eggs half Delawares half Barred Rocks, 3 were not developed at all on day five and today 6 were not developed. But the good news is I have 17 that are moving around, it is amazing and my kids love it! This is my first hatch, it's humid here naturally so humidity is around 60% and temp is between 99.9 and 101. I will check them again one last time before lockdown, the last thing I need is an egg to explode. Personally I'm not changing anything, if you already have good results with what you are doing keep doing it ... now we just have to wait and see [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by