Please define "positive black" and "positive white"

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by joletabey, Aug 13, 2010.

1. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    I have been reading my SOP like a good little scholar, but I don't understand what "positive black" and "positive white" are. And what does "short of positive black" and "short of positive white" mean?
    Thanks for the help!

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I have been wondering about this too. [​IMG]

3. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Got my answer from an APA judge - it's the SOP definition of black=lustrous greenish black. Or, more simply, black with a green sheen. Just short of positive black means no green sheen.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  4. kathyinmo

So, positive black is just the same as black? Meaning black with a green sheen, right?

What is positive white, just white? I still don't quite understand. [​IMG]

5. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    I have no idea either - how about white with a green sheen! That I'd love to see. [​IMG]

Maybe just short of white is white with a bit of color on some feathers?

6. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Chickanmanfromarkansas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    how about white with a green sheen!

NOW THAT WOULD BE TOO COOL.​

7. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    I answered more on what I learned on that in the Marans thread- white is white. The SOP definition does not mention any kind of sheen whatsoever, so it is white white. IF a specific breed has a white with a sheen, it should be mentioned in the breed definition. If they refer you to the color definitions in the front, they mean plain old white for white , and lustrous greenish black for black.
    I hope I have made it clear to the very nice and helpful APA people that I have talked to that the SOP is not clear. I wish it were a little more use friendly for the beginner, but then it would probably be double in size! [​IMG]

8. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    The only thing I can think of is in respect to Barred Rocks. They should not be a black & white barred bird, but have a very dark grey ( short of positive black?) & a very light grey (short of positive white?) pattern. Again our Standard might be different from the US version.
    Black Marans should not have a green sheen by the way.
    David

9. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    David, thanks for popping in- I always appreciate your input!

10. kathyinmo

Quote:This is very interesting! I did not know that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by