Please Donate Pictures Of Chickens With Coccidiosis!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Chickenfan4life, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    I am writing an article about Coccidiosis and would like to enter it in the BYC 2013 Article Writing Contest, but I would really like to enter some pics in the article. If you have pics of chickens and/or chicks with Coccidiosis, please let me know if I can use them!

2. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    I dont know if this is a bad question or not, but I'm new to having chickens. But what is Coccidiosis?

3. Chickenfan4life

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    It's not a bad question. Coccidiosis is a infection that is caused by the parasite Coccidia, which are ingested by the Oocysts they lay. The chickens ingest these Oocysts when they peck things on the ground. Treatment is sulfa drugs administered through drinking water.

4. Chickenfan4life

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    I really need some pics of chickens with cocci! The more, the better!

5. [​IMG]

Two sisters, Peaches and Princess.(white Cochins) Peaches had cocci for awhile and I didnt know it. I was new. She is the one on the left. She was stunted, always mellow and slow. Princess was fine. more alert, inquisitive, nosy.

[​IMG]

Cocci in full force. Treated with Albon from the vet.

[​IMG]

Peaches on the left and Princess on the right. (peaches with Cocci)

[​IMG]

Princess with no Cocci.

[​IMG]

Peaches with Cocci. Same day, same time. Notice how small she is and hunched?

[​IMG]

Even after treating with Albon, Peaches was smaller and 'stunted' for the first year. on left in top photo and bottom.
    Her sister grew up fine. she was bigger, stronger, etc.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

they are almost two now, and Peaches (one that had Cocci) is fat and round. She is fine as far as everything else. leave good eggs etc. She ended up being bigger than Princess (no Cocci)

[​IMG]

Peaches on left, Princess on right

[​IMG]

peaches above

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Peaches big butt. lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Princess above

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  6. Chickenfan4life

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Thank you, Fishnet! :) :) :) :)

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    You can also use Google Image to give you photos of chickens infected with this parasite. Just be sure to give credit.

8. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Not sure if I have them during their cocci outbreak because I'm a little superstitious and strange and thought they would all die, but I have some bloody poop pics--in fact, I made a thread on here asking for help showing the pics, so let me do some digging.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by