Please don't laugh! Which end down?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wsdareme, May 31, 2010.

1. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    Please don't laugh at me -- I just brought home 7 hatching eggs (Black Copper Marans). My incubator instructions say to place the small pointy end to the outside and slightly down.

I have two eggs that are symmetrical -- I can't tell which end is the small pointy one. The rest are normal looking eggs.

Is it going to matter if I have those two backwards/upside down? I THINK I put them in the way they came in the carton (which should have been pointy side down, but I didn't pay attention until it was too late).

I was thinking I could candle them to find the air pocket, but they are so dark I don't think it's going to be possible (I've been reading a lot of posts on BYC members' unsuccessful attempts to candle Marans eggs).

Any suggestions? [​IMG]

2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    I may get bashed for saying this, but, maybe you could float it quickly in water. The air cell end should sligtly rise up in the water. I wouldn't think a quick float would be near as bad as incubating it upside down.. [​IMG]

3. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    Not laughing....

the darker end on brown eggs is usually the "big end" so the lighter end is the "small" - I have a hen that lays football eggs too. I just studied the coloring of the obvious smallend/bigend ones and learned that the color comes out that way.

Good luck!

4. tnchickenut

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    Oh yes... and if they aren't too dark shelled - candle them and see the air sack.

5. tnchickenut

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    oops... sorry. just read the whole first post.

Stick with the darker and lighter method... it works for all breeds (that I have come accrossed and hatch - which is ALOT)

6. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    THANK YOU! You're absolutely right -- they are lighter on one end! All is well, and we've started the 21-day countdown! [​IMG]

7. tnchickenut

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    Good deal... lots of luck to you... hope you get a very successful hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by