Please don't let them be roos !

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mamabigbird, Aug 8, 2010.

1. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    Our young chicks will be 9 weeks old in a couple of days, and 2 of the six have little bumps above their back toes. I looked up the chicken anatomy chart on this site and the bumps are exactly where the metatarsal spurs are.

My question is, do hens also get those or just roos.

My fingers are crossed they aren't roos, 'cuz we don't really want any, but I already have fallen in love with them.

2. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

Yes, hens can grow spurs but they usually DON'T. Do you have pictures? That is the esiest way for me to tell.

3. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    9 weeks is awfully early to be growing in spurs. Hens also have the little spur bumps so dont panic yet!

4. Louieandthecrew

dido.

5. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    Quote:I don't have pics but will see if DH will take some. Then I'll have to get my BIL to upload 'em 'cuz I'm useless with that stuff. I'll double check the other 4 but didn't see bumps on them. Thanks for the response.

Update ... So I went back for another look and I see they all have little bumps but the two red chicks have bright yellow legs and their bumps are a bit bigger, but then so are they. The others have dark greenish blue legs so it was harder to see the bumps. Deep sigh of relief (I hope)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  6. Louieandthecrew

Yup [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by