Please dummy check my brooder

Meesh

Songster
11 Years
Feb 12, 2008
Rocky Mountains
I setup my brooder today in the big basement closet, turned on the lights, and am watching the temperature to try and get it about right. Chicks will be here mid week, if they ship on time (12 standards, 4 bantams).

Is there anything else I need except for the chicks, filling the waterer and feeder? I did buy the chick starter.

brooder1.jpg

A warrior princess to watch over my chicks!

brooder2.jpg

Oh, and I am going to try alfalfa pellets instead of pine shavings when the chicks are a 'lil bigger, those are on my list for my next trip to town.

Thanks!!!
Michelle (going into nesting mode)
yippiechickie.gif

Wow! That looks great.

I know that some people put marbles in their waterers to keep the chicks out. Also, have you thought about perches? I know my chicks were on perches very quickly.

Great Job!

Just make sure they have room to get away from the heat lamps. I can't tell how far apart they are, but they need to be able to get to cooler areas from time to time. Looks pretty good to me. You will want to raise the feeder and waterer up off the floor in a couple of days.

big_smile.png
Thanks! I will add marbles and some cute 'lil perches. The lights do have some less intense areas, I think the chicks can get away from the direct heat, to some extent. The temp has stabilized at 94 deg., which I will double check with a non-digital thermometer.

I think I'm about ready! And BREATHE!!!
big_smile.png
This is the closest to labor I've ever been.
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Cheers,
Michelle

GREAT SET UP WITH A LOT OF THOUGHT AND PLANNING.
BUT
I am worried about your lights.

I had a light like that in my dining room on a brooder with a 60 watt lightbulb
turned on 24/7 and it got hot over time and melted the black plastic top and melted the cord off.
If we had not been home and smelled it the house may have burned down.

I have one more like it and I only use it in an emergency and will not use more than a 40 watt light bulb.

THEY WERE NOT made to be on 24/7

You need one with a white ceramic top from TSC, Agway, or your local farm/feed store.

:)

Interesting. I will see if I can find one with a ceramic top. I looked at the store and didn't see anything other than plain bulbs. I am sure the feed store doesn't have them (what's Agway
smile.png
?). Maybe there's a specialty place in town, I'm not sure? I have been using those lights in my coldframe 24 x 7 BUT it's cold outside, so maybe a bit different than indoors.

Anyway, thanks for the note about that and I will see what else I can find!

Cheers,
Michelle

GO LOOK AT THE BROODER THREAD THE LAST PICTURE ON THE LAST PAGE HAS A GOOD PIC OF A BROODER LIGHT.

They also have thicker more heavey duty cords on brooder lamps.

I used mine for a few hatches befor I had a problem.

Well if I can't find them locally, I will order some lights in. I may have to use the lighter ones for a few days, but that should be OK. The brooder lights are so inexpensive, and I really don't want to burn the house down using the wrong type of light...

I can see how those lights could get extra hot with the draft guard keeping the heat from dissipating.

Wish we had a TSC here.

Cheers,
Michelle

Back
Top Bottom