Please educate me about breeding Silkies

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by blaundee, Jul 1, 2010.

1. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    I am going to start breeding Silkies, and am about to see if I can find the breed standard online. I used to have a few Silkies, but never bred them, so this is new to me. As for the genetic side of it all, what colors are dominant, how dominant is toe feathering, etc? Should a bird who doesn't have proper toe feathering NOT be bred?

Any advice is welcome!!!

2. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    bump

3. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    Hi blaundee
    There are a couple of GREAT silkie threads already existing on here which would provide you with most of the information you're requesting.
    The SOP is not available online, but the portion regarding Silkies is available on the American Silkie Bantam Club website~~while you're there, you should join.

Best of luck

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    There is quite a bit to know. My suggestion is to search the forums for threads that have good discussions about breeding and raising silkies and read them. Then ask questions about what you don't understand.

5. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    Find an experienced NPIP breeder near you and offer to help them with their flock (cleaning, feeding, medicating, petting...etc.) in exchange for them mentoring you in what to do. There's no written word that will help you more than hands on experience. Also, some things that work in one area of the country might not work in a completely different climate. Availability of food varies from place to place, as well. They will also be a good source of quality breeding stock for you. Where are you located?

6. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree that you should do searches regarding Silkies on the forums and lurk around the breeds, genetics threads/board. That's what I'm doing, and I'm finding alot of valid, helpful info. Thank goodness for BYC.

Yes, the Silkie standard is on the Silkie breeder's club website.

7. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Quote:Not all NPIP testers are poultry people. Mine isn't.

Go to shows. The most educational thing you could do is go to shows that have Silkies entered.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by