1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

please evryone read

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WESTPALMPOULTRYMAN15, Aug 20, 2008.

1. WESTPALMPOULTRYMAN15

WESTPALMPOULTRYMAN15 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2007
    WPB FLORIDA
    hi ive been with the forum for a while my to cut the stirie short my hens have not lade any eggs in 5 weeks and 3 days this is not normal i know but what could it be i havent changed the tipe of feed they get and all i did was take the nest box out 3 weeks ago and i know they hate change but they should have got acustom by now i dont know and im loosing profet becase all my nambers love fresh eggs and i sell em for 4:50 a dozen i was rackin in 7 eggs a week and i have 4 hens thanks and please i hope lots respond

2. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

is it hot where u live? sometimes they will stop laying while the heat is around.. also stress. lthey hate change... mine got the nest box moved a ferw feet and i didnt get any eggs for like a few days... hmmmm.... thats wierd. give them calcium and layer feed .

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If they are molting, they may not lay for awhile.

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I feel a little confused. First, why did you take their nest boxes? They would probably like to have them back! Second, if you only get (normally) 7 eggs a week, HOW are you selling them?

5. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    apparently rain affects laying too (some one correct me if I'm wrong!). my organic farmer friend said that hers have gone from 20dz/week to 1dz/week b/c the onslaught of rain we've had.

6. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    7 eggs from 4 hens per week? Maybe they are molting, too old, or you have an egg eater.

7. WESTPALMPOULTRYMAN15

WESTPALMPOULTRYMAN15 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2007
    WPB FLORIDA
    mam i took them out to clean them and put them right back in there in there its ok you dont have to worry lol

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I know its hot there, how hot is it inside your coop?

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    You are on the southern east coast of the state...the barometric pressure fluctuations and temperature this time of year will cause them to go off laying. I grew up just north of there and our hens would do the same every now and again during hurricane season. The storms can really affect them too.

Give them time and let Fey and the other tropical stuff move off and they should hop back to laying. How old are they?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  10. islandchick

islandchick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2007
    Oak Island, NC
    This is happening to me too! My 2 RIR's both stopped about 2 months ago and they are 1 1/2 yrs old. I am so so sad...I was trying to convince myself they were molting but I don't think so. My husband wants to eat them....not Red and Pancake!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by