Please explain Quartine

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NC29mom, Aug 21, 2010.

1. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    Please somebody explain to me the proper quartine procedure.

I have ordered 10 japanese BTW hens to go with my 2 roos. I bought them from a very reputible seller/breeder. However, I don't want to loose any of my flock. I will have to put them in an area where I have housed other chickens before. IS that ok?

How long do I keep them quartined?
    Should I be giving them any supplements?

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
  3. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    You can keep them where you have had chickens before, but sanitize with a dilute bleach solution if any of the previous birds were sick. Everyone has their own time table as to how long to quarantine them. I do 2 weeks, longer if they look ill or become ill. The stress of moving the birds can bring out any infection or problems that they may have been dealing with. I quarantine for 2 weeks to be sure they are not sneezing/coughing/diarrhea and I also like to deworm any newcomers since my flock is dewormed on a schedule. I assume that most people that I get birds from do not deworm (and that's fine for them). Nowhere does it say you need to deworm your birds, but I like to.
    as far as supplements, you can give vitamins, but not completely necessary unless they look unhealthy and vitamins will help if they are stressed and don't eat as well as normal.

4. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    Quote:Yes, I found that after I posted!! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by