Please explain this chicken behavior!

NC29mom

Songster
9 Years
Jun 15, 2010
Scotland Neck, NC
Returned home this AM after taking my daughter to camp. Heard a lot of noise coming from inside the hen house. (they have a house they sleep in at night and lay eggs in and and outside shaded portion for the day). Well, funny thing is the rooster (there are 13 hens and a rooster) was inside the hen house making a funny screeching noise at a hen in the box. He did this while right in her face for several minutes. She got out of the box and just stood there. The rooster proceded to get into another box and she followed. Now they are both in the same box. WEIRD!!! I have noticed in the past (when I had the day off from work - we usually don't get to watch them during the day), where the rooster would come in the hen house and harass the hens that were sitting in the boxes. Maybe he doesn't understand they are laying eggs? Maybe he wants them all outside so he can keep his eye on them?

Any ideas? Gotta love chickens!

My D'uucle roo does this with his hen. He gets in her nest box and calls her in (in the same way he would call her over for food) then he sits in there with her while she lays her egg sometimes. Other times he stands guard outside the nest hole and watches...most times silent but sometimes he gets all the hens going with his loud screeches.

He is trying out the boxes for her to sit in. He is showing her that the box is safe and snuggling with her so she feels safe laying in it. Roosters do that... He understands that her job is to make him a daddy. Nice rooster

Yep our bantam cochin roo does that too, the other roos dont, but he's really committed. So sweet
smile.png

Quote:
Ahhhh, you are probably right. He is the best rooster ever!! He NEVER eats when we give treats (EVEN LIVE CRICKETS!!) until the hens have eaten all they want. He's never rough when he mates. I tell my husband we will never, ever have another rooster as good as Rocky. Funny thing is, he was a stray rooster, just wandered up in our yard. Next thing I knew my husband had built a coop mansion and gotten him 13 girlfriends. He really deserved it though, I couldn't have pictured it turning out any better. Here's a picture of our wonderful rooster. I think he's a mutt, but he's a fantastic, sweet mutt.

60664_cx2010_019.jpg

60664_cx6-29_011.jpg

60664_cx6-29_011.jpg

He's gorgeous and it is great to hear a good story about a rooster! I bet he really is grateful for the rescue and life you've given him!!

That's so funny, that you didn't even have chickens to begin with, that you got them for a stray rooster! I've always felt that stray dogs and cats, and shelter rescues were more appreciative of their happy home. Must be that goes for roosters, also!

Yep, love him more than ever! Such a sweetie, my Rocky. My 9 yr old daughter even wrote a book titled, "Rocky, My Life Story" in which she told a story of a rooster going from house to house trying to find just the right owners (or just anybody who wanted to love him). What luck when he wondered up in our yard! She even took the camera and took pictures of the coop being built and the hens arriving for her book. Turned out to be such a beautiful story. I will keep it forever!

Back
Top Bottom