Please explain: Tractor Supply Company's Math

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by doubleatraining, Dec 2, 2011.

1. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    I was browsing through TSC the other day picking up some more waters for the harems and a new one for Camp Kenmore.

Can someone explain this to me??

1 Gallon Waterer = $4.99

3.5 Gallon Waterer+ $19.99

So let me get this right....if I want to buy 1 gallon its $4.99/gallon....but to buy MORE its $5.71/gallon??? I thought typically things got CHEAPER the more you bought.

Needless to say I bought more 1 Gallon waterers

2. jmagill

jmagill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    You are not buying more of the same product. You are buying a different size product and maybe not even the same manufacturer or quality. You are comparing oranges and apples.

3. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    Same manufacturer, same quality.

I just find it hard to believe that I can buy 4 1 Gallon wateres for what I could get 1 3.5 Gallon. It doesn't take me any longer to fill up 2-3 small ones compared to 1 large one. Same amount of water goes into them, twist the top and go.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    your buying convenience:) I buy the larger ones so I dont have to refill all the time. It's much nicer for me to do it 3x a week instead of everyday:)

5. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:Well to be honest, I bought the one gallon waterers cuz they are easier for me to carry and fill. I have a wagon and carry one gallon milk cartons of water to the run each morning. Also I rotate them to keep them clean. I also know myself and water gets dirty and I might be lazy and say "ah it's ok" and leave them with dirty water.

I wish you well ,

Rancher

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

7. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I bought the 1 gallon waterer cause I want it clean and I do that about every three days. If I had the larger one it for me, would be much time between water changes. They have another place they drink during the day, the dogs water dish, so that's not the only water they have. Without that I would 2 days would be my limit.

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    If I had the larger one it for me, would be much time between water changes.

There's no law that says you have to fill it with all it will hold​

9. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Exactly. So why spend for the larger one and put a gallon of water in it?[​IMG]

10. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    A little OT, but I hate that most places carry only 1 or 3 gallon waterers, except usually a 2 gallon in galvinized. I find 2 gallon the perfect size for my flock, lasts longer than a day if I want, small enough to be easy to carry. I also prefer plastic so I ended up having to order online, but even then they are hard to come by in the sleeve type drinker.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by