Please Give Feedback - Welsummer Eggs - Did I get a DUD?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dbounds10, Jul 30, 2013.

1. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Ok so I have only been keeping chickens for about 3 years and I have 5 adult laying hens. This year I added several chickens to my flock (I have 16 now). The 2 oldest of the new girls are now of laying age. Betty started laying this week and is on her 3rd egg. My question is "Why in the heck is she laying quail size eggs?"

I thought that Welsummers would lay large eggs. She is a large girl and very healthy. Has anyone had the same experience? I know sometimes they have to get their system in gear but I have never had a chicken consistently lay these tiny eggs.

Here are the 3 eggs next to a medium and a Jumbo egg from my EE's
    [​IMG]

And here you can see they are so small they dont even register on the scale!
    [​IMG]

2. dbounds10

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Anyone have any thoughts?

3. creepygothnursi

creepygothnursi Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2013
    If she's just started laying, that's probably why they are small. You say she's only been laying for a week? I'd guess her system may be taking its sweet time to get up to speed. Good layer feed and/or oyster shell supplements will help with the shell; I think there are foods that will help with laying, I can't remember which specifically but a search of the forum should turn them up.

4. dbounds10

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Thanks for the reply, I will look for the layer feed. They have been laying 2 weeks now and I have gotten 6 eggs all of them barely at the pee wee size. It's a bummer!

Anyone else have thoughts or advice?

5. samanthaburns

samanthaburns Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    Texas
    Ours started laying 2 weeks ago and they were small to begin with. But are gradually getting bigger. We feed dumor layer crumbles. And they love it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by