Please give helpful hints!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Birchwood, May 11, 2009.

1. Birchwood

Birchwood Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Southern Vermont
    After a sad 0 hatch on our first try incubating( they were shipped through the mail, 6 days late I got them in freezing temps.) I have some more eggs coming!!![​IMG]
    I read alot about incubating and hatching via net. I want to make sure I do everything right this time. Is there any helpful hints out there?[​IMG]

2. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

What kind of incubator are you using, turner or hand turning? Humidty? Give us an idea on the last batch and I'm sure someone will come up with what went wrong, I'd say the being late and freezin temps had alot to do with it.

3. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Let the shipped eggs sit and rest for at least 12 hours and preferbly 24 horus befor putting them in the bator.
    Let the bator run for at least 24-48 hours at steady temp and humidity befor puttin in the eggs.
    Still air 101 ish
    Fan 99.5ish
    Humidity days 1-18 35-45%
    Humidtiy days 19-21 70-75% or a tad higher if you live in a really arid place.
    Remmber that when you put in the eggs the temps will drop but you DO NOT NEED to touch anything the incubator temps will stablize on there own after the eggs reach bator tem.
    Oh and the eggs need to be turned ether with a automatic turner or by hand at least 3 times a day. stop turning at day 18

ENJOY

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  4. Birchwood

Apr 17, 2009
    Southern Vermont
    It is a homemade. I had the temp and humidity good for several days before I attempted to put eggs in it! They also stayed perfect during the twenty one days. I even got the humidity levels to rise the last 3 days and stay constant!! Everything went perfect. I thought. That is why I figured it must have been cold temps. during shipping. Just looking for anything I may have missed. Thanks for all the advice I can get!

5. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

Quote:Did you candle them any? I have a feeling they probably never started to develop or died early due to the circumstances of getting them to you. Go with the 3rd post and you should have good luck next time

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  6. Birchwood

Apr 17, 2009
    Southern Vermont
    They were brown eggs...and having never candled any eggs before, I had a really hard time figuring what I was looking for! 3rd post sounds right on:thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by