Please give me some advise...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by slabcrappy, Apr 14, 2011.

1. slabcrappy

slabcrappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Orchard Park, NY
    I have 9 chicks that are 5 1/2 weeks old. they are very healthy, but I noticed that they often shake their heads. They have been doing this for at least 2 weeks. Most of them do this. they will be sitting on the roost or whatever and they are still, but they shake their heads for 1 or 2 seconds. Is this normal chicken behaviour? I am new to this. I got some foodgrade DE yesterday and dusted their brooder and roosts hoping that if they have mites or something that this will cure. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sal

2. Posh Chickens

Posh Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    West Midlands, UK
    My chickens do this, its normal if they drink water and do it... I'll let an expert tell you.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Mine all do this sometimes...almost like a twitch or something. Even my big birds do it sometimes, although not as often. Of course it's easy enough to check the little ones over for mites or lice just to be sure (look at their skin under the wings, near the butt area, and around their necks/faces. But it's most likely nothing to worry about...

4. slabcrappy

slabcrappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Orchard Park, NY
    thank you very much for your input. I didn't think it was a biggie, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by