please give me some help about button quail

faith and hope

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 11, 2015
I am new come there,I have two button quail some days ago,Now I want to know if the button quail can hatch the egg by themselves and take care their babies ?because I do not want to use the machine to hatch the egg ,this is the fist time I feed them。So i want you give me some advice about this or what i can do to help them complete these.I just have a male and a female in a cage ,I give them a box to build their nest and they don not again lay egg.
Thank you for all your advice!

They can hatch and raise their own chicks... but they need lots of privacy and quite. If they get disturbed or unsettled by any noise or movement around the cage they will leave the eggs and nest.

Easier to breed them in an aviary on their own.

But, can be done in a LARGE cage.. with all sides covered except the front.. and have the cage in the quietest room.

But lots of hay and grasses in the cage.. logs, clumps of plants.. lots of places for them to hide.

But in 2 or 3 nesting boxes.. small ones.. stuffed with hay and fine grasses.

Feed them high protein diet.. lots of live insects and worms too, scrambled eggs with calcium like crushed egg shells and grit.

Let them lay los of eggs in the box in a big pile.. then the hen will start to brood them.

When the chicks hatch feed lots of protein.

Give very shallow water bowl full of pebbles so the chicks don't get wet or drown.

Good luck.

Thank you for your information.I can not find these in my country,so your answer make me exciting .Your means if the condition is suitable, lost of button quail can show their hatching instinct for us ?Because I know some Gouldian finch lost their hatching instinct,The button quail is like this?

Thank you for your information.I can not find these in my country,so your answer make me exciting .Your means if the condition is suitable, lost of button quail can show their hatching instinct for us ?Because I know some Gouldian finch lost their hatching instinct,The button quail is like this?
I breed both button quail and gouldian finches.. and they all raise their own chicks.

Its true many button quail have lost some of there instincts to brood eggs and raise chicks... but they still have these instincts buried deep down in their tiny heads somewhere... and some 'strains' are better at others. The natural coloured ones seem the best... but I also have pure white ones that also raise their own young.

I started with about 5 pairs form different shops. Then, after many failed breeding attempts.. I selected the ones that showed the best instincts... and I kept doing this with each generation.. and in only 3 generations I had birds that were really good at raising own chicks and hatching eggs.

But they ALWAYS need lots of hiding places and covered cages.. and not disturb that at all when they are laying eggs and brooding them. Once the chicks hatch they don't mind us looking at them.. it sonly when they are nesting they get spooked an abandon the nest.

I breed both button quail and gouldian finches.. and they all raise their own chicks.

Its true many button quail have lost some of there instincts to brood eggs and raise chicks... but they still have these instincts buried deep down in their tiny heads somewhere... and some 'strains' are better at others. The natural coloured ones seem the best... but I also have pure white ones that also raise their own young.

I started with about 5 pairs form different shops. Then, after many failed breeding attempts.. I selected the ones that showed the best instincts... and I kept doing this with each generation.. and in only 3 generations I had birds that were really good at raising own chicks and hatching eggs.

But they ALWAYS need lots of hiding places and covered cages.. and not disturb that at all when they are laying eggs and brooding them. Once the chicks hatch they don't mind us looking at them.. it sonly when they are nesting they get spooked an abandon the nest.
Thanks! My button quail is the natural colour. I hope they can be a good parent like yours!

Back
Top Bottom