Please give me the final word on blackhead prevention

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by turkeymom, May 11, 2010.

1. turkeymom

turkeymom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    SE Tennessee
    I'm new to turkeys, but I've got a month-old poult in the brooder with some chicks and I want to know how to prevent blackhead before I move them outside with the rest of the chickens.
    To prevent blackhead, should I worm just the turkeys or just the adult chickens or everybody? What wormer should I use?
    Thanks!

2. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    I wish I could help. I have turkeys and chickens together for 10 years and I have never seen blackhead. I also have never dewormed anyone. They seem healthy to me.

[​IMG]

3. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    there is a pill you give each turkey once a week to prevent black head , i belive from 4 weeks - 10 days before market. i do not know the name.

4. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    [​IMG]

5. AVizcaya

AVizcaya Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2009
    [​IMG] That is TOO funny!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    What is black head? I have not heard of it but I keep my chickens and turkeys separate.

I use wazine 17 for worming like once a month or every couple months.....I have heard of people putting apple cider vinegar in the water too.

7. chicklunatic

chicklunatic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    Luna, NM
    What is the apple cider vinegar supposed to do? Does it help with parasites or what?

8. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

9. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    Quote:[​IMG][​IMG]

10. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    I usually keep mine seperated from the chickens and actually keep them in above ground pens until they start getting to big for them. Then I move them to portable pens out in the field on grass that we have never kept chickens on and they do great. Also I do worm when they go to the ground pens. Maybe it's because I haven't raised chickens on the ground that I put them on or maybe it's the worming but we seem to have real good luck with this system. Raised up about 150 of them last year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by