Please give me thoughts on my Coop!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by OlivenhainChickens, Dec 23, 2008.

1. OlivenhainChickens

OlivenhainChickens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2008
    I had these pictures up on another thread, but I wanted to make one especially for advice and comments about my coop.

The coop used to be an old wooden play set. We added a corregatred roof, a couple of doors, chicken wire and some roosts up top.

We only have two chickens, about 3 months out from laying, because we had predators get the other two.

Please tell me what you think so that I can improve it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Looks good, but I would have the sides of the actual coop solid so it would protect them from wind/rain/predators. Great use of the playset!!!

3. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    This gives me an idea. I have a playset that me and my brother dont use any more. It has i think four levels. Maybe we could turn that into a multi breed coop. It looks really good.

Cody!!

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Good idea! I hate to tell you but chicken wire will not keep predators out-they chew right through it. You really need hardware cloth to be sure.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Ditto

6. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:
    Ditto

7. quercus21

quercus21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    Do you have to climb up a ladder to get the eggs? I'm assuming that you live someplace warm, but do your chickens have enough protection from the wind and the rain?

I really think they shouldn't call chicken wire chicken wire because it is not good to use for chicken coops.

8. TanksHill

TanksHill Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2008
    Vista, Ca.
    Do you live in Olivenhain? I am up in Vista. I think you may want to enclose part of that upper area for warmth.

Look great though. I have one of those in my yard. Maybe it will have a new purpose. [​IMG]

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    When (I'm hoping it's when not if [​IMG]) you replace the chicken wire with something heavier-gauge, ideally 1x1" welded wire mesh, it will be a lot more predator-resistant if you run it on the OUTSIDE of the structure. Predators can push harder than they can pull [​IMG]

Alternatively, leave the existing chickenwire on, exactly the way it is, but get 2x4" welded wire mesh to add on the outside. Its strength will prevent breaking-and-entering, and the smaller mesh chicken wire will more or less prevent raccoons from reaching in and pulling out handfuls of chicken parts.

Enclosing most of the upstairs with plywood will reduce the amount of replacement wire mesh you have to buy -- you might make 1 or 2 sides permanently just plywood, like 1/2" exterior-grade, and put wire mesh on the other two sides with additional plywood panels that could be hung on the outside for further weather protection when needed.

Have fun,

Pat

10. OlivenhainChickens

OlivenhainChickens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2008
    patandchickens, the wire IS currently on the outside of the coop, not the inside. So far, I think it is pretty darn safe from predators.

As for enclosing the top floor to keep the hens from the wind...that is a good idea that I'm looking into. I hope if I do that that they use the perches I made for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by