Please give me your gender opinion! (Pictures)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mommabice, Mar 11, 2012.

1. mommabice

mommabice Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2012
    Mississippi
    My Coop
    Okay, I have 2 barred rocks in my little flock. One is growing slower and has shorter feathers. I would like to prepare myself if this is a roo, just so I have time to re-home or prepare for freezer camp. I also would like to have the opportunity to maybe pick up one extra chick from TSC or something to replace the loss to the flock (we are only going to have 5, and I would like to keep it at 5). Here are comparison pics to the other Barred Rock in the flock.

[​IMG]
    This is the "bigger" girl on the left. You can see the barring on the other one to the right is a little different and the wings and tail are shorter. They were hatched on the 21st (so they are 3 1/2 weeks old).

[​IMG]
    This is the big girl on top, and the smaller one on the bottom. You can see the big difference in wing and tail length.

[​IMG]
    And the legs...someone said the color on the legs can make a difference, but they look the same to me. The little girl is on the left, big girl on the right.

2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I know for sure that males will feather in with much more white barring than females. I thought that they could be sexed by their head spots, Males having bigger spots & females having smaller spots, though I might be wrong.

The chick with the longer tail(and bigger white spot) seems to be obviously bigger than the other, might be a roo?

3. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Your 'big girl' is a boy.

4. mommabice

Jan 22, 2012
    Mississippi
    My Coop
    I thought the shorter/squarer feathers on the other pointed to a roo though (which is what the smaller chick has)? That is why I am confused. The bigger chick has the long wings and big feathers like all the other girls in the flock (though they are different breeds). This is the only chick with stunted growth (the one on the right in the first pic, the bottom in the second, and on the left in the last one).

5. mommabice

Jan 22, 2012
    Mississippi
    My Coop
    I am so confused! [​IMG] It seems like some people say a smaller chick/slower growth is a roo, and some say faster growth/bigger chick equals roo. Should I get another chick just to be sure? I know that I will have room for 6-7 hens in the coop/run I am building, so if they all turn out to be hens I would still be able to keep it. And if I got another chick could it be put in with these girls? (like if I got it on Monday or something?)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  6. xC0000005

xC0000005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    Kirkland, WA
    If I were going off of head spots, I'd say both look like boys, but all will become clear when the feathering gets better. Girls will be balck with tiny white stripes, and boys will be white with black bars.

7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I am not convinced that either of those is a roo. The bigger one, meh, maybe. I raised two BR's in my last bunch of chicks and they did the same thing to me. I had one that was much larger, developed faster, got a big red comb/wattles, barring even looked to white to me for a pullet. But she proved to be a hen after all. I'd say give these two a bit more time.

8. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    I have 3 Barred Rock chicks on my group. I was told the female has a circle of white on their hear and the boys white is smudged. I am suppose to have 1 female and 2 males. I do have I Barred Rock with a white circle and 2 with smudges so I am thinking those are my boys and girl. If I were looking at yours I would think 2 boys. But I am new to chicks and only going by what I was told.

9. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

They both look like girls to me.

10. mommabice

Jan 22, 2012
    Mississippi
    My Coop
    Goodness. This is driving me nuts. I suppose I will just wait and see. Maybe I just got a runty one since all the other chicks are bigger than this little one. Thanks for all the help. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by