Please give me your opinions

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by mekasmom, Jun 19, 2010.

1. mekasmom

mekasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    One of my friends is dying from cancer. She has been in and out of the hospital for almost a month, and is paralyzed on one side from a tumor pressing on a part of her brain. Her neighbors have been taking care of her dog at her house, stopping a couple times a day to feed it and let it potty. She is nearing the end. She has a full time nurse when she is home, and she spends a lot of time in the hospital now. She called me a couple of days ago crying. "Please take my dog. Please promise me that you will take care of him." She is making final plans for things she loves, and so she asked me to do this for her. Of course, I said yes. She sent me all the toys, 8 prescriptions from her vet for the dog, a kennel, food bowls, three beds, assorted leashes and collars, special food, treats, etc. My friend even set up a small fund at her vet's office to continue to pay for the dog's continuing meds and senior food and treats. She lived for this dog. It is her baby.

The issue is, that I didn't realize how ill and thin her dog had become. He is 16, on three types of pain killers, thyroid medicine, diazepam for something or other, arthritis meds plus the usual HW stuff, is almost blind and hard of hearing, and is bone thin. I immediately fed him canned food rather than the kibble. I thought it might increase his intake of calories. I am also going to start giving him some goats milk because it is so easy to digest. (I know that is probably not on her vet's list.) And honestly, If this were my dog, in this poor of health and so very thin, I would consider having him euthanized. Yet I don't want to betray my friend by doing this. I have an appt Monday with my dogs' vet for his opinion on the quality of life. Would it be wrong to do that if he feels as I do, that this poor dog is no longer happy and healthy? If I do that I don't want to have it done at her vet. She doesn't need to know about this. I want her to pass thinking her dog is being cared for in as much peace as possible. Right or wrong, I will tell her til her passing that the dog is doing great and is very happy no matter what choice I make about putting him down.

Do you think I am betraying her? I need an impartial opinion. That's why I want to talk to my vet too. I'm not trying to be mean, but I don't think the dog's quality of life is high enough for him to live like this. Maybe if he could put on some weight, it would be better, but he is still in pain. What would you all do?

2. Fuzzy_Hat_Farm

Fuzzy_Hat_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Maryland
    First [​IMG].

Part of owning a pet and doing what is best is knowing when 'enough is enough.' I had a cat that I really liked. She was 14 years old and had diabetes and cancer. She was miserable. But the vet would not make the suggestion that I put her down. They don't want to take that responsibility. I finally decided it was mean to keep her in such misery. The vet came to our house and euthanized her there by injection. She went very peacefully and was no longer suffering.

Discuss with the vet exactly what diseases/conditions the dog has and prognosis for improvement/cure. I think you have the right idea. And I can't imagine that your friend would want her beloved dog to suffer either.

I don't want to sound callous, but one way to look at it is that she and her dog will be together again. [​IMG]

3. monita

monita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    Shelbyville, Tennessee
    I think you are doing the right thing.

Well said Fuzzy_Hat_Farm. I couldn't have said it better myself.

4. mekasmom

mekasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Quote:Maybe that's why her vet didn't do it for her? I thought maybe he was just nickle and diming her because she adores the dog. The dog is on tramadol, enalipril, diazepam, rimadyl, metacam, cosequin, HW prevenative, frontline, and some bottle that just says thyroid medicine. Plus if you try to touch him on the back he screams. He hobbles too instead of walking. He also has this special senior food and treats from the vet that is for kidney failure.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  5. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Her dog was a good and faithful family member to her and obviously very loved! I am crying now! Just lost MIL in November to cancer and my beloved cat had to be put down after Christmas to mouth Cancer! I personally would do as you feel in your heart! Let them both go with peace and dignity! Just know that YOU ARE A WONDERFUL FRIEND!

6. hollyclyff

hollyclyff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    NC
    What if you have the dog euthanized without telling her and then she asks to see him one more time before she dies?

7. Rin

Rin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    It's a good call.. but I would wait until after she's passed on to make it. If I were in her shoes I would HOPE the person at least waited until the dog actually was theirs (due to my death) before making such an irreversible decision..

8. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    I was thinking too, what if she asked to see him one more time. Then what do you say? You didn't do the right thing so I put him down? While painful as it is, if she is so close wait until she is in a coma or has passed.
    It is hard when everyone is suffering.
    I would also talk to her vet.

9. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I would not even consider the decision until your friend has passed on. I wouldn't even bring it up to your friend. Just take care of the dog as best you can, then, when she has passed, consult your vet. Your friend wants you to care for the dog since she cannot. Putting the dog down could hurt her more than you can imagine. With an already fragile state of mind and health, it could be the thing that puts her over the edge, and then you would do nothing but blame yourself.

Consider your friend's feelings and wishes. Care for the dog while she is here, then consider the options when the dog is "officially" yours.

10. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    I would take the dog to my vet but wait til her Mom passes before you make a decision to put it down or not. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by