Please groom your dogs (rant)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by NewHopePoultry, Nov 11, 2011.

1. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    The vet office called me in at noon and asked if I would come take in a poodle designer dog that the owner no longer wanted.
    Me and my husband walked in and they carried the dog into the room. He was so matted he looked like a lamb. The groomer for the vet had already left for the day/weekend, so they told me to bring him back Monday to get groomed. I couldnt wait. The poor dog's leg was matted to his stomach and couldnt walk. The fur was so matted over his ears, he could hardly see. And lets just say his man parts were matted to one side and he couldnt properly pee.

It took me over 2 hours to cut and groom him (it probly wouldnt take a real groomer that long) and he has to go in Monday to get shaved down. The poor thing looks funny, but at least he can move.
    His nails were super long and he has dew claws in the back had started to grew back into his legs [​IMG]

Point being, if you have a poodle,doode, oodle, etc (any longhaired, etc dog) please take the time to groom them. Its for the dogs well being and health.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  2. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    That is horrible! And it isn't just poodles. I have a westie, and her fur will get matted if not taken care of.

3. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I agree. I hate to see dogs in that condition. If you don't want to groom coats. Don't own those breeds.

4. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    And don't wait until the dog is in that sort of condition before you consider handing it over to someone who isn't lazy.
    Some people's kids!
    [​IMG]

5. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here Premium Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    My standard has to be groomed at least twice a month. It's just a part of having such a dog. They also need DAILY brushing. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  6. NewHopePoultry

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Ive had a few poodle mixes,etc and didnt think it took to much time to groom them.

I cant see how someone can sit there with a dog looking like that in their lap and say they love them.

7. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I guess that it is a good thing that the original owner of the dog took it to the shelter rather then just dumping it on the side of the road like so many people do. It still is horrible that the poor thing had such matted fur though. I mean, if somebody is going to have a dog then they have to take care of them.
    On the bright side, you just made some little poodle a heck of a lot comfortable today! [​IMG] Good Job!

8. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I used to breed and show mini schnauzers. I would lecture potential new owners before they even got one of my puppies about the grooming.
    All of my puppies were sold groomed. I would offer to teach the new puppy buyers, or I would continue to groom them if they brought
    them back. I also gave them their first return grooming free.

9. NewHopePoultry

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri

Well they took him to the vet and pretty much told them to take the dog or they would dump it. The vet office knows Im a huge animal lover and will help in any way I can, so thats why they called me.
    After he gets neutered, etc they are going to find a home for him. Im just fostering him for now.

I have no idea how long it takes to get this matted, but I know it doesnt happen over night.

10. michelle89

michelle89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    I bet he feels so much better! You did a good thing today, and I'm sure the dog appreciates it too, if only he could talk and tell you what he's thinking![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by