PLEASE H.E.L.P. me in the middle of a fox attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shella, Dec 11, 2011.

1. shella

shella Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    BATH
    at 23.30 i herd some noises out back i ran and what i saw i panicked
    most of my chickens are gone 3 ducks are injured and i can only catch one
    the largest is the one i want to get to he is bleeding badly around the neck
    the rest will not get back in behind the electric fence and i know that fox is coming back
    please it dark and i don't know where to start
    any suggestions
    i'm desperate

2. Chickpeep

Chickpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    West Kingston
    I am sorry for your problems. I am skipping niceties since you need help now. You said all your chickens are gone????? And you have an injured Duck running around and you can catch him. Your thread was panicked so it is very hard to understand. Your presence will stop the fox if your in a smaller area. Wave a flashlight around and make noise. Use a radio or something like that to let them know someone is near. Then start locating your animals. If it is dark and they got into a roost you could find them in lower tree branches or under some kind of cover. You will have to look closely. Need more info.

3. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Quote:X2. I am so sorry for what you are going through. [​IMG] It will be back. So please becareful.

4. shella

Oct 27, 2010
    BATH
    i could not catch the large white duck its bleeding on both sides of neck. i have found one duck but i think its blind from the attack
    i also found a cockerel in a bad way but can not find ant wounds so they are both inside in a sick cage.
    i will have to wait till first light to find out how many i have left.
    what i don't understand is that i have a electric fence and my chickens do roost in the trees its the ducks i was more
    worried about. they can fly except the large white one.
    i will let everyone know what happens in the morning
    i have done my best if anyone can give me help on how to treat the injured birds i would be very grateful

5. shella

Oct 27, 2010
    BATH
    UPDATE
    damage 2 ducks had to be put down
    1 cock had to be put down
    it could have been a lot worse I don't blame the fox. am now checking every inch of fencing
    and will be leaving porch light on at night.
    has anyone got anymore suggestions that could help
    thanks in advance

6. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Quote:First off, I'm SO sorry what happened to you! That's just AWFUL! I have had this happen--if you haven't caught all the ducks and chickens, I use a large fish net. It works perfectly in catching those hard to catch birds! Also for wounded ones, I always give liquid baby tylenol and lather wounds in neosporin--give them a quiet place to rest. And the fox will be back. You might want to consider a chicken-friendly watch dog as guard. Set him up with shelter near the area of the attack and $10 says he will detur the fox. I personally would set a live trap, trap him, and dispatch the fox or just wait for him with a gun. The problem here is once they know where dinner is, they will continually come back time and time again until they've cleaned out your flock. Good luck!

7. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Do you have a coop where you can lock them up at night? The fox will be back for an easy meal. Good luck!

8. 44Wolves

44Wolves Here is Your New Title

Jun 28, 2009
    Same thing happened to me :'( Lost 2 of my girls [​IMG]
    Good luck, and what we did for one injured one from the same attack was bringing her indoors into a cage, but anti-biotics on her wounds, then cover then with bandaids, which was NOT easy. Good luck [​IMG]

9. chick-among-us

chick-among-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2011
    Dayton,Texas
    it may be hard to imagine but you Can suture thier wounds... Don't use topical sprays or anything like lidicain (sp)just lay them on thier side (puts them in a type of trance they hardly move) cover thier head with a towel. You can doctor,suture,whatever...i am sure that there are others here who know much much more than me and can give you wonderful specifics! I am a newbie but have Lurked much longer....shoulda joined a year ago! Good luck I am sorry about your babies

10. shella

Oct 27, 2010
    BATH
    [email protected]@2four :

Quote:First off, I'm SO sorry what happened to you! That's just AWFUL! I have had this happen--if you haven't caught all the ducks and chickens, I use a large fish net. It works perfectly in catching those hard to catch birds! Also for wounded ones, I always give liquid baby tylenol and lather wounds in neosporin--give them a quiet place to rest. And the fox will be back. You might want to consider a chicken-friendly watch dog as guard. Set him up with shelter near the area of the attack and $10 says he will detur the fox. I personally would set a live trap, trap him, and dispatch the fox or just wait for him with a gun. The problem here is once they know where dinner is, they will continually come back time and time again until they've cleaned out your flock. Good luck!

I did what you said and caught all of them i have put the injured ones inside in a quiet place tried to give them water but they don't want it ( tried with a dropper around the beak area)
    just waiting to see if they survive thanks for the advice​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by