Please Help….Rooster Attacked! What to do? Will he survive?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mmorgan79936, Nov 16, 2013.

1. mmorgan79936

mmorgan79936 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2012
    Elgin Oklahoma
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mmorgan79936

Jun 26, 2012
    Elgin Oklahoma
    Our Pyrenees just got into the White Cochin Coop and killed 4 hens and severely injured my Rooster. We just came home and found white feathers all over our yard! We thought we lost everyone but when we got to the rooster he just popped up and ran. Right now I have him in a horse trough in our barn with food and water. I do not know what to do at this point?? Please help and if anyone can tell me do we have a chance for survival? I love this guy :(

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    His wounds look pretty deep, but chickens can recover from some awful injuries. He may be in shock for awhile, and sometimes chickens will die from that. When he is stable enough, clean his wounds with weak Betadine, Hibiclens, or soap and water. Normal saline is also good, but put some antibacterial soap in with it. Let it dry off, then apply some Neosporin or other antibiotic ointment. Getting him to eat, drink, and to not get infected will be the next hurdle. Offer him eggs, tuna, dry cat food, or other high protein items in addition to his feed to tempt him to eat. An antibiotic such as amoxicillin. keflex, or clavamox would be good if you can get it. Keep us posted. Good luck.

4. mmorgan79936

Jun 26, 2012
    Elgin Oklahoma
    Right now he is just sitting there but he is a bit jumpy if I move something. I took his fencing off the top to take his pic and he startled. I then pulled away one of his feathers and pet him and i could hear him breathing weird like maybe a cold like breathing. hhmmm like if my kids had a sinus infection and they are congested that what he sorta sounded like! Should I just leave him alone tonight and see how he is in the AM

5. mmorgan79936

Jun 26, 2012
    Elgin Oklahoma
    We have only been raising chickens about 5 years but we have never had any attacked so I have never had to doctor any. I have two with worms that I am doctoring that I have quarantined but this trauma is all new to me :(

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  7. mmorgan79936

Jun 26, 2012
    Elgin Oklahoma
    Ok ty I will let him rest. I have the heater on 65 in the barn and the lights off for the night and hopefully he will survive the night. He has his food and water in here with him as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by