1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

PLEASE HELP – Why is our chick acting this way? *Sad update*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wordgirl, May 8, 2009.

1. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    We got 21 chicks last month, April 28th, as day-olds through our local feed store, who works with a hatchery every year to supply chicks to people throughout the later spring and summer. The chicks would be 11 days today, and all have been very healthy the past week, other than a few pastings, and at least 2 of our Gold Links have been having very runny, brown poops. Neither are pasting, but this morning one of our Gold Links has been a little droopy (and I'm not sure whether she has been one with runny poops or not). She doesn't want to eat, and would only drink when we dipped her beak into the water. She has stayed in a far corner all morning, just sitting there, eyes half-open, but not lying down to sleep. And what's weirder is that she isn't staying in the corner with the heat lamp – she's in the corner farthest away. What is wrong with her? Is she sick? Please tell us what to do! We don't want to lose her! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  2. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sorry...she doesn't sound too good. I had one like that, that just stood around droopy, not eating or drinking, and looking a little sick. I prepared my kids for the worst, telling them it probably wouldn't make it.

Well, I gave him some crumbled up hard-boiled egg yolk, and a couple of drops of vitamins (Poly-vi-sol, no iron) in his beak several times, and he was fine the next day! He was smaller than the other chicks for a while, but then caught up.

I'm praying for the best for your little chick!

3. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I would seperate your sick chick for a little bit just in case. It could be a vitamin aborption issue too. I had one with this problem and with some poly vi sol in a few days she was fine. A mix of vitamin E and selemnium also works for this, but I can't remember the exact doage off hand. If you post this on the emergency page someone could help.

The brown poo could be cecal poos, which is the chicks cleaning out there intestinal track. Good luck!! [​IMG]

Sonja

4. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    What is poly vi sol? Is it a human medication, or is it for animals? Do you get it at feed store?

Thank you for your encouragement! [​IMG]

5. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    Okay, I tried giving her some scrambled egg yolk, which she wouldn't touch. She isn't interested in her crumble, either. I've tried to keep giving her water, which she will swallow. But not much improvement. I just found some bloody mucous-type stuff in the bedding, and although I'm not sure it was hers, I found some slightly bloody half-firm poop near her. Please tell me she doesn't have coccidiosis! [​IMG] They've all been on medicated feed since day 1, and I've rinsed the waterer in hot water daily, refilling it with water with an electrolyte/vitamin powder mixed in. If she gets it, will they all get it???

6. Kezzie

Kezzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Coastal Georgia
    Quote:Poly Vi Sol is a baby vitamin. Make sure to get the one without iron, as that can harm chicks. Good luck!

7. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    I am sad to report that our chick total has dropped to 20. The Gold Link died yesterday afternoon. Thankfully none of the others are acting strange, but there are still one or two chicks that are pooping brown liquid. Are we going to lose more??? [​IMG]

8. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so sorry to hear that. [​IMG]

As for the brown poop...is it really stinky, compared to the regular poops? Try searching for cecal poop. Every chick will do this...I think about once a day. I'm not sure of the purpose, but it is normal.

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    There is a lot of variation in poo that is still normal, and chicks will have runny poo sometimes. Look here:

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

It is possible that the chick had something internal wrong and the runny poo was a coincidence. But it is also possible they have cocci, in spite of the medicated feed. Speckledhen has talked here lately about having to treat hers for cocci in spite of using medicated feed. She uses Corid, I believe. Lots of info in the diseases section, just use the search feature.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by