Please help... 1 chick remains alive out of hatch

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ENGEC35, Apr 1, 2018.

1. ENGEC35

ENGEC35 In the Brooder

Mar 16, 2018

Hi! My chick is one of 12. The final and only survivor

Please help!

She seems alright. I think she has a bum leg. Please watch the attached video, and share your opinion!

She’s 72 hours old as of a little later tonight. She consistently was stuck on her back since birth— just kept running around, falling, and getting stuck.

We finally moved her out of the incubator tonight (she dried in 12 hours after hatch, but since she kept falling in her back, I left her in the incubator longer to stabilize. She did, but she stabilized when another chick hatched which caused her to stay in the incubator another 24 hours to dry again.

Now, all the old eggs have been discarded and her only hatchmate passed on :’(

Is she ok? At this time, shouldn’t she have grown into her legs?

2. diamondsilkies

diamondsilkies Songster

Oct 23, 2017
    Southern Arizona
    I agree, by now she should have gotten her balance. For nutrition, I would give her mashed boiled egg yolk and put some electrolytes in her water. Make sure she's getting enough food and water, as chicks with bad legs sometimes don't get enough nutrition.

Do you know what happened to her hatch mate? Sorry for your loss :hugs

3. ENGEC35

ENGEC35 In the Brooder

Mar 16, 2018
    I think It was exposure to bacteria, but I don’t know for sure. This was our first hatch, and of 12 eggs, 10 were fertile, 1 lives.

They were shipped eggs, her hatchmate was an assisted hatch.

After the assist, she lived about 24 hours and died

I think the two chicks as they defacated in the incubator, was the reason the other chick died

I was waiting for them both to dry, to move them into the brooder, but they were not fully dry when the chick died.

I guess such is life?

Anyway, since all the other eggs didn’t make It, and her hatchmate is gone, I really want to give his chick a good life.

Can you help advise? I’ll post another video if there is something specific you can see that will help you advise

Please let me know!

Thanks so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: