Please help! 2.5 week old chick with swollen joints!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peep Talk, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Peep Talk

Peep Talk Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Loudon, PA
    I ordered an assortment of chicks from MPC and I have a chick that had a swollen foot/ankle on her left leg the beginning of this week and thought she might have gotten injured. Well this morning I noticed that she isn't walking nicely at all, and she now has a very swollen knee/hock joint on her right leg along with the swollen foot on the left leg! What is wrong with my baby? Do I need to completely separate her? Do I need to do the dreaded thing and put her down? Please let me know as I have 15 other chicks that she is currently with and I have 23 bantam chicks in another brooder but in the same room as her. Thank you in advance!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2010
  2. Peep Talk

Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Loudon, PA
    Please help me with this chick...it's one of my light brahma chicks and she is the sweetest one! What could it be and what should I do to help her?

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Your chick was probably hatched that way. To my knowlege, there is nothing you can do for it.

4. Peep Talk

Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Loudon, PA
    Really? It didn't start until this week. [​IMG] I guess if she doesn't get any better, it's obvious what I will need to do. [​IMG] Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by