Please help 2 month old chicks getting sick

kjd_aag_sad

Hatching
9 Years
Aug 28, 2010
I have been raising baby chicks for over two years and never had any problems until now...It started in Thurs one that was a little over a month old was just sitting there with it's eyes closed and a few hours later it was dead...This morning the same happened to it's bunk mate even after we moved it into a clean cage on after the other one died....It looks like my two month olds are getting sick too....They have runny poo but no blood, their feed and water is clean and not moldy or dirty (we change their water several times a day and clean the dish well each time)....I just got them a new bag of medicated feed on Sunday...Could it be bad batch of feed? I have read on other sites about cocci that sounds alot like what is happening...I have read about the molassess or epsom salt with their water, which I have neither on hand, but also apple cider vinager that I do have, but how much do I put in? Tomorrow morning my husband will bring home the molassess for them...My 4 year old's bunny was also in the same building from Wed night until just a few hours ago, and she also has runny poo and not eating much, she is now in the house...Can someone please help me on what is going on so I don't loose any more chicks or my daughters bunny...Thanks you so very much....

Last edited:
We also have checked them for bugs and sores and they are all clean, no loose feathers....

Not sure what is wrong with them but make sure you get them to drink plently of water even through an eye dropper if you have to. You should try to get infant vitamins without Iron drops for the water. It will turn the water green.

Sorry I can;t help more. Hope whatever is wrong the water will flush it through.

Oesdog -
hmm.png

About two weeks ago we moved the two month olds to where they could more interact with the adults...They get out and run around the yard with the adults and the adults go in their cage too....The two that died had not interacted with the adults at all...Besides giving the babies medicated feed and some layer feed in the spring to give them a kick start all my chickens are organic and free range....And I would kind of like to keep it that way if possible...We are now cleaning their cage for the second time since they have been moved...

Quote:
I am right with you on keeping things natural and organic. I don't even use medicated feed. However, if i see an outbreak of cocci, i will medicate immediately. From what you said, they are textbook for timing to have an outbreak. I would put liquid amprolium 9.6% (Corid) in their water and watch them come back to life. If it comforts you any, amprolium is exactly what is in the medicated chick starter, but it is very often not enough to make any difference in prevention - which is partly why i don't use it. If you get the 9.6% liquid amprolium, you could add it to their water at a rate of one to two teaspoons per gallon of water. Some places also sell a powdered amprolium, which i think is about double the strength of the liquid i purchase. That will work too.

Amprolium is normally labeled for some animal other than chickens, but it's safe and effective for chickens, and we can help you figure out the dosage.

Most importantly, i would get it in their water asap - and continue for 5-7 days. You'll want to keep them in their own area with their own water while they're being medicated so they get the full strength of the medicine.

Where would I get the medicine? With it being Sat all the vets are closed...Do the farm fleets have it? I can run to the farm fleet in about an hour..So you don't recommend doing the molassess at all?

Quote:
I get mine from the local feed store. I assume that's what a farm fleet is.
smile.png
I've never given my chickens molasses for anything, and i don't think it would help with cocci. I've just not heard of doing that, so i'm not sure what the reason would be.

I have heard that in some areas, Corid/Amprolium is harder to come by. Some places sell a product called Sulmet. If that's all you can get, then go for the sulmet, though the dosages will be a little different.

I would definitely medicate them immediately.

Back
Top Bottom