PLEASE HELP 2 OF MY GIRLS ARE BLEEDING WHEN LAYING EGGS.......

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HAPPY ACRES, Dec 4, 2008.

1. HAPPY ACRES

HAPPY ACRES New Egg

Dec 4, 2008
    2 OF MY GIRLS ARE BLEEDING WHEN LAYING. THE EGGS ARE BLODDY-RED STREAKED.
    THIS IS THE SECOND DAY AND NOW THE HOLE LOOKS TOBE STICKING OUT A LITTLE NOT ALOT BUT IT LOOKS SORE.
    I PUT PREP H ON THEM YESTERDAY BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.
    THEY JUST STARTED TO LAY ABOUT A MONTH A GO

THIS CANT BE NORMAL......
    [​IMG]
    KORE IN BAYTREE ALBERTA CANADA

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Your hens may be partially prolapsed, and I am not experienced enough to help, very sorry. There are a huge number of ways to help these hens- involves vaseline and tenderness. I hope someone will jump in FAST for you, someone who knows from experience.

Meanwhile I'm searching for some links for you.

Back asap.

Here we go-

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=26390

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  3. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know what others might suggest but here's what I'd say is going on.

SHe probably tore a little when expelling a particularly large for her egg. Then is re-tearing it next time another egg comes through. As long as the others aren't pecking at her vent causing damage, I'd consider using a lubricant to help...uh...smooth the way for her egg laying until she heals and her little self gets used to passing the eggs. If the others are pecking at her vent making the situation worse, i'd consider sectioning her off a little until she heals. Without a pic, i can't tell what you mean by a little is sticking out. It could be serious , such as a prolapse, but it could also be as simple as swollen tissues that will return to normal once the irritation of the raw injury is healed.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  4. HAPPY ACRES

HAPPY ACRES New Egg

Dec 4, 2008
    YES I DOES LOOK LIKE SWOLLEN TISSUE, I WILL TRY AND GET A PICTURE, I HAVE ALSO BEEN PUTTIN STOP PIC ON THE FEATHERS TO KEEP THE OTHER GIRLS AWAY FROM THEIR BUMS, AND ALSO STOP BLEED TO DRY THEM UP AS WELL. AND THEN SOM PREP H.

THESE GIRLS ARE GOING TO BE SO TIRED OF ME SOON............
    [​IMG]

5. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

If you could get a photo of the chicken and the egg that would be a plus. I had this problem once because the chickens were a little to fat. (feed company messed up on formula) If its a little blood on the egg it should be fine as long as it doesn't continue for to long. If it is a lot of blood on the egg and on the vent I would remove her from the other chickens and keep an eye on her.

Also could you not write in all caps thank
    [​IMG]

6. HAPPY ACRES

HAPPY ACRES New Egg

Dec 4, 2008
    well:(...
    things did not go well.
    i had to put them both down they started to bleed internaly.

[​IMG]...

7. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Sooo Sorry! [​IMG] I had to do the same when I had a hen with prolapse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by