Please Help!! 2 sick hens, 2 different symptoms!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chknmom2014, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Chknmom2014

Chknmom2014 Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2014
    Mary is my 8 month old Ameracauna and she has runny, bubbly fluid in her eye and her ear is wet and looks swollen, but it is only on one side of her head, other side looks fine. I'm very worried, they are my babies and I'm afraid of losing them! Can Respiratory infection show signs only on one side? She is eating and drinking normally and her droppings are normal, laying normal, seems fine except symptoms above.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lacey is my 8 month old silver laced wyandotte and she has black on her comb, face, and wattles. Eating, drinking, laying normal. Could this be fungus? Fowl pox? Parasites?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I only have one area to separate from the flock and I have done that, but they are in together to keep isolated from apparently healthy flock members. Please help me, I'm scared I will lose my babies! Pictures below as best I could do.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Your wyandotte could have dry fowl pox, a virus spread by mosquitoes that may last several weeks. There is no treatment. Foaming in the eye on one side with a swollen ear (or eye) on the other hen could be a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG or CRD.) But also make sure that she hasn't been pecked in that area, and the small spots could also be pox too (or crusted drainage.) Tylan soluble powder in the water, or Tylan 50 injectable could be given for treatment of a respiratory disease. Oxytetracycline is another antibiotic that may be used in the water. Here is a good link to read on the various respiratory diseases and one on fowl pox: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/avian-pox-how-to-treat-your-chickens-for-avian-pox

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  3. Chknmom2014

Chknmom2014 Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2014
    Thank you for your help! I will order both tomorrow. Are eggs safe to eat both now and while the hens are on the meds? I'm new to chicken raising and I wanted to do it partly for the purposes of organic eggs with non medicated birds! :( they need to be healthy and happy tho, so whatever I need to do. I love my babies, and that was unexpected! Lol

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I agree with Egg. Tylan. I don't know how long the withdrawal is. With the dry pox, putting some ointment on them always made me feel better.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Just to be clear, you can use Tylan Powder, Tylan 50 injectable, or Oxytetracycline powder for the water--you just need one, and Tylan 50 is less expensive, can be used either as a shot or given orally. Egg withdrawal for oral Tylan is 1 day, for injectable Tylan, it is 1 week. For oxytetracycline, it is 14 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by